11.27.2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer-Review

Goodreads : Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

My opinion : Oh my god ! I can't find the right words ! This book moved me so much ! I've fallen in love with the characters, the world ... I knew it : the first time that I saw this book, I  knew I was going to love it : the gorgeous cover, the pages, the rising moon for each chapter ... But what striked me the most was for sure the incredible story ! We've got three big categories of characters : 
- The keepers : they are good wizzards who are supposed to protect sacred places (well it's what we think at first, but we realize soon that's not the case).
- The Searchers : they are bad wizzards (sorry for this manichean description) who lead a war against Keepers since centuries and want to put their hands on these sacred places.
-Last but not least, there are Guardians (werewolves) : they can change whenever they want and have to protect the Keepers from the Searchers. In return, the Keepers provide them with food, houses, education ... They make the Guardians believe that it's their duty to protect them and deprive them of their freedom. 

What I liked the most in Andrea Cremer's book is probably the fact that it's very easy to get attached to the characters.I love Calla, she is this strong woman who is the leader of the Nightshades, the pack composed of Ansel (Calla's little brother), Bryn (Callas' best friend), Fey and Mason.  She is supposed to "marry" Ren Laroche, the leader of the Banes : another pack composed of Neville, Sabine, Cosette and Dax. With this union, Ren and Calla will become alphas of a new pack. But, during one of her patrols,Calla met Shay <3 by saving him of a bear attack and everything is compromised. Calla will discover with Shay's help that werewolves have been lied to, and will begin to challenge the system in which she has been raised. Of course, she will fall in love with Shay, but how couldn't she ? OMG, Shay Doran, a man who doesen't hesitate to fight for what he believes in ... At first, he seems to belong with humans but he bear a weird tatoo which represents a cross and he's in fact a Scyon that is to say a sacrifice for Ren and Calla's union. He is also turned into a werewolf in order to save Calla's life ... 
  
Andrea Cremer succeed in creating the perfect ending, it's going to be so difficult to wait for Wolsfbane (published on July 12th 2011). Shay and Calla are taken by the Searchers after having escaped from the Keppers with Ren's help ... I'm so eager to read the sequel ... 
I've the feeling that I have forgotten to say a lot of important things but when books are that good, it's not easy "to stand back from a reading" (I don't know if it makes sense). I had a lot of awesome quotes for this review, but I've had a huge trouble with my laptop ... Maybe I will add them if I can get them back ;) 

Plot : ★★★★★ 
Characters : ★★★★★
Ending : ★★★★★
Writing : ★★★★★
Cover : ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment