12.30.2010

Quick Review : Darklight by Lesley Livington ! (without spoiler)

Goodreads : Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt. Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself. When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to risk everything to claim that power.
Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting allegiances, Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart. With breathtakingly high stakes, the talented Lesley Livingston delivers soaring romance and vividly magical characters in Darklight, the second novel in the trilogy that began with Wondrous Strange.


My thoughts :  I have to admit that I wasn't expecting something that good. I liked Wondrous Strange but wow,  Darklight was stunning. For instance, in the first book, I found the characters interesting but not transcendent either. Kelley seemed like a damsel in distress ... but in Darklight she is a tough woman with great powers who isn't afraid to fight for what she believes in. It's the same for Sonnie .. I found him really more badass than in Wondrous Strange ... I even swooned from time to time. Besides, this one is really more hard to drop than the other ... surely because it's not slow at all  : I mean that there are so much events and all is happening very fast. The end is heartbreaking .. I haven't cried but, according to me I should have to (there was some noise around me so I wasn't able to catch the beauty of the passage. But, Livington knows how to create a cliffhanger for sure !! What an end !! I've already pre ordered Tempestuous; I can't wait to read it!!
I was about to forget to mention this amazing cover : this girl absolutely embodies Kelley, don't you think ? 

My favorites quotes : 
"I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to die surprised. And I swear to all the gods, if the last thought that goes through my mind is What the hell was that ?  I will hunt you down in the afterlife and punch you in the face throughout eternity." - Sonny Flannery to Fennrys, page 178.

"Are you rehearsing without me ? Do I need to steal another script away from you ?" - Sonnery Flannery to Kelley, page 245.  

"You probably shouldn't be here on your own. Not under the circumstances." 
A safety lecture was the last thing she needed to hear. 
"Kelley, I love you."
That was the first thing. - Sonny and Kelley, page 255.

My advice :  
You musn't under any circumstances only read the first book of the series. Darklight is so much better and I hope Tempestuous will be as good !! 

My rating : 
Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★★★★ 
Writing : ★★★★

Leave the link of your review, I'll be glad to take a look at it ;) 

2 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction with the Need series. But then again I think the wondrous Strange series will be better than the need series. Great review! I hope by mid next year I'll be able to get this book. Should be great! :D Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the covers of the entire trilogy and agree with you about Kelley and Sonny both growing into their powers. I also liked that we got to see more of the Fennrys Wolf. Looking forward to reading your thoughts about Tempestuous!

    ReplyDelete