12.25.2010

Review Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Goodreads :
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy. Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

My opinion : I felt drawn by this book from the moment I saw it's gorgeous cover. It's wonderful and it's a good representation of Jacinda (the main character), that's exactly how I pictured her. I loved all this draki thing : it's very uncommon ... well for me ! It's actually the first book that I read about "dragons". And I have to admit that I definitely want more. Jacinda lives with her mother and her twin sister in a pride of drakis. She's the first fire breather since a long time. One day, she is tracked by hunters and she met Will (great scene in the cave). He's supposed to kill her but spares her ... leaving them both fascinated with each other ... Jacinda's mother decides to flee the pride. The sisters join a new school and this is where Jacinda finds Will.
I was a little sceptic at first because the romance seemed a little bit cliché ... but I have to admit that Will is a sweetheart !! I can't wait to learn more about this weird story about him (he had leuchemia and in order to save his life, his father made him drink draki's blood) ... I loved the end ... I definitely want to know more about the return of Jacinda in her pride ... What's going to happend to her family ? to Will ? And with Cassian (maybe a love triangle?)!

Quotes :
"He watches me intently, his eyes hard and merciless. I wait for him to annouce my presence, holding his gaze, refusing to look away, determined that this beautiful boy see the face he sentences to death with his next words." - Jacinda
"Has it occurred to you it may not die ? That my draki is not a part of me you can just kill off ? That it is me. Forever. Who. I. Am."- Jacinda
"I know what it feels like to be used, valued  only for what you can do ... not who you are, not who you want to be." - Jacinda
"But you knew. You saw me before. You knew me from the mountains. That first day in the hallway, you recognized me. You had to know I could never hurt you. I didn't then. How could I now?"- Will

My rating : 
Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★★
Ending : ★★★★
Writing : ★★★★
Cover : ★★★★★ 

I'm so sorry, there must be a lot of mistakes because I wrote it very quickly (please forgive me ;) )

Leave the link of your review, it will be a pleasure to take a look at it and see what you thought about Firelight. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I hope more happens with Cassian! I liked him. :) I agree with you, the cover is just gorgeous. I was drooling over it for months waiting for the book to come out. It is a very good representation of the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree -- the dragon thing is really unusual! I was glad to see something non-vampire/werewolf/faery out there right now! Thanks for the review =) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. had this to my TBR shelf for ages!!I need to get it read

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this looks really interesting...I've never read a book about dragon-shifters before. definitely adding to my TBR list! Thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete