12.15.2010

A Short Review : Torment by Lauren Kate

Goodreads : Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.
At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.


My opinion : I I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something a little more thrilling, because according to me the series has a huge potential. Let's say it's not a hate, but it's not a love either. I liked this new setting : the school of Shoreline and all the new characters who came with it (Shelby, Miles ..). However I'd have liked more scenes with Cam, Daniel ... Because there were even times when I wished Luce'd make up with Miles (Yeah I think I was getting a little tired of Luce and Daniel together )! I have the same reproach that I had for the first book (Fallen) : it's too slow to start !! I mean, there were some passages that I loved but unfortunately there were also ones that made me stop reading and put the book on my bedside table ! Nevertheless, I have to add that I loved the end with the Thanksgiving reunion when all the characters gathered and the end is awesome (well according to me). Lauren Kate definitely knows how to create a cliffhanger !! 

Quotes : I haven't picked quotes like I did for my other reviews. But there's one that I found very funny : 
"If you two were going to be that obvious about it, why didn't you guys come down in your Team Daniel and Team Miles T-shirts ?"


My advice : I'm kind of mixed about this series : I loved both of the endings, but I disliked the fact that the story was very slow. I think it has a huge potential so you should read  it anyway ;)

My rating : 
Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★★★
Ending : ★★★★★
Writing : ★★★★
Cover : ★★★★★  

Leave the link of your review, I will take a look at it ;) 

6 comments:

  1. Arfff c'est plutôt mitigé du coup ! J'ai le même avis que toi sur le premier, donc le deuxième vient de reculer encore un peu dans ma pal ^^

    J'ai vu que tu avais acheté Morganville ! J'espère qu'il te plaira !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pacing sounds like a turn off. I've heard such mixed things about this series. Someday I guess I'll pick it up. Maybe I'll wait until the final book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The end was awesome! I like your blog. I'll be following! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I wasn't really a fan of the first book, but I somehow got an arc of Torment, but I haven't really gotten to it yet :P I guess I'll just read it for the heck of it. I am a Cam fan though :) I'm glad he's still there lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I also wanted Luce and Miles to get together xD haha Because Daniel just pissed me off sometimes :P
    Looking forward to read book 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree she tends to have a gradual start but her endings are always KA POW!

    Can't wait for the last one... Team Cam!

    ReplyDelete