1.18.2011

Quick review : The Devouring by Simon Holt

Goodreads : "When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul..."
THE VOURS: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.
When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.
To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?
The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare?

My thoughts :  I have to admit that it's the first time that I read this kind of books and it felt great ! First of all I've realized that I don't read enough books written by men .. As I'm addicted to YA books and writers are mostly women, I've missed great authors !! I liked Simon Holt's writing because it was easy for me to read and very fluent (I don't know if we can say that or not in English, sorry) !
Then, I had never read a book that creepy before. There are a lot of  common  fears, nightmares : spiders, clowns, drowning ... and these scenes are very scary because you can easily get into the victim's skin and be as afraid as she is ...
I liked Holt's heroine a lot : Reggie is 15, one day, she found a creepy journal dealing with Vours (evil beings that inhabit humans' bodies) !! She finds it funny and entertaining .. but not long after her discovery, her little brother changes of behavior and Reggie realizes that he's in fact possessed by one of these demonic creatures ..

Favorites quotes :

"If you don't learn how to be scared, you'll never really learn how to be brave." (page 7 Reggie)

"The Vours are all around us. They were our names
and faces, but they are not us. The most dangerous
thing we are ever told is, "There is nothing to be afraid
of", because, in truth, there is so very much to fear."

"We all have a dark side, Reggie. You. Me. The old lady down the street. Henry. Everyone. We make the choice not to embrace it, but the dark is there. It's always there. Inside us."

My rating : 

Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★★★
Writing : ★★★★

Did you read this book ? Did you like it ? Leave the link of your review, it'd be a pleasure to read it !!

8 comments:

  1. Great review! The thing I loved most about this book was the opening. Never have I read a book that had such a brilliant opener that drew me in so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not really a fan of scary books but you definitely have made me curious. Great mini review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this one when I read it. Elodie I was scared S*@^*(* and had to sleep with the light on!

    Just thinking of it gives me chills.

    Une autre review parfaitement bien ecrite pour dire WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very excited to read this one! It's been sitting on my bookshelf for a while! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this book seems scary!! I don't know if I want to read it haha

    also, in English you can say fluent the way that you did =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to shy away from horror/scary books because I am a coward! But with that cover, and synopsis, and review, I think I'll give it a try. Great review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very interesting! I'd like to get to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look really good! I absolutely love the covers! Thanks for putting them on my radar. Have a great weekend!

    Sonette @ Bookworm Blog

    ReplyDelete