1.26.2011

Quick Review Matched by Ally Condie !!

Goodreads :  
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


My thoughts  :
I've just finished Matched and I've a mixed opinion. 
First, I love all the dystopian side of the novel : I think the author did a great job in creating a society which succeeds in controling and conditionning people. The Officials decide of everything : people's death, people's mate and people's work ... It really makes you think  if you're really free or if your actions, emotions, feelings are the result of another person's choice, decision .. And I found it very interesting !! 
Nevertheless, I thought that the romance wasn't that great : I  really expected a romantic book in fact, but it's not the most important aspect in Matched (well, according to me), but that worked for me anyway.
I'm looking forward to read Crossed, the second book in the series (coming Fall 2011) !! 
I strongly advise you to go check out the official website of the book : http://matched-book.com/  (it's awesome ) !! 
Quote : 
"Lying in bed, my body and soul bruised and tired, I realize that the Officials are right. Once you want something, everything changes. Now I want everything. More and more and more. I want to pick my work position. Marry who I choose. Eat pie for breakfast and rund down a real street instead of on a tracker. Go fast when I want and slow when I want. Decide which poems I want to read and what words I want to write. There is so much that I want. I feel it so much that I am water, a river of want, pooled in the shape of a girl named Cassia."   -page 300.

Rating : 
Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★★★
Writing : ★★★★





22 comments:

  1. Nice to read short reviews sometimes! You summed it up really well :) Think I might have to read this! Mostly Reading YA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I hope I get around to reading this soon ... I also went to the website; it's pretty cool =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Elodie! I have this on my shelf, and I'm looking forward to reviewing it despite the mixed reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i luvd the sound of this book and cannot wait to read it!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must get around to reading this one! It's too bad the romance wasn't that great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, sometimes I really enjoy a book where the romance is not front and centre, the most important thing. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely have mixed feelings about Matched too. I liked the concept but I thought the pacing and the romance was a little off. I really need to write a review for it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually liked the romantic aspects of the book. But I agree- a really awesome dystopic idea.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,(I couldn't find your email adress)

    I was recently chosen for a Stylish Blog Award by Frosy from frosybookreviews.blogspot.com. And to pass it along I chose you as one of my 10 recipients for a Styligh Blog Award. I chose you because I love reading your blog and love the look of pages. Here's the posting http://paranormallyromanced.blogspot.com/2011/01/blogger-award-i-would-like-to-thank.html

    Congrats and thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I have been seeing this book everywhere lately and I always want to get it but I haven't seen any reviews for it or anything. And there are so many books that I already want to read. I think I might have to go pick it up now. I also didn't know it was going to be a book in a series! : ) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard such mixed reviews of this book, but I thought it looked good. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be reading this one in the next week and I'm a little wary. I've heard that people who read and loved Delirium don't really feel so strongly about Matched. I'm hoping that isn't true though. I'm okay with a story not so focused on the love aspect, so I think I'll be fine with that. And that quote makes me eager to read it.

    Great little review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't decide if I'll buy it, I've heard so many great things about it, but the romance is pretty important to me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salut Elodie!

    Now you've just made me rethink on when I'll read this. Another well written review and insight into Matched. I feel so bad... you read them as soon you get them... I'll just being a slug waiting forever.

    A la later :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! The book sounds good, but I'm scared about the "romantic" part, I want romance, drama... haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still have to read this one, and I've seen so many mixed reviews. It's one of those books you need to read for yourself and decide what you think. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i really like that quote!! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant review Elodie, I especially love that quote :)
    I read Matched just before Christmas and I still need to write me review. I hope that the romance will get better in Crossed!

    Also, I just want to say thank you for your comments on my blog and tell you I'm your newest follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree the romance is a bit too tentative, but I liked the idea of the book overall :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely agree -- the dystopian side really makes you think. The romance with Xander definitely could have been more developed, but I really loved Ky =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed the dystopian side of Matched very much, but I would have liked it to be more developed or to have seen Cassia interact with that side of the story more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just finished it this morning and posted up my review! I love how you were able to sum up this book in one paragraph! I wish I knew how to do that lol. As you see my reviews are a million pages long. I agree that there was romance lacking but I think the characters were too scared or just didn't know what sexual tension is!

    ReplyDelete