1.03.2011

Review Shiver by Maggie Stievfater .. Without Spoiler !

Goodreads :  
the cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

the heat.
Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.

the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human—and Grace must fight to keep him—even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future. 
My thoughts :  
Oh my god, I've just finished reading this book so I've decided to do my review right away in order to have all I wanted to say fresh in mind !! Maggie Stiefvater is a genius ; she has such a beautiful writing, a special way of telling things and every word seems to be carefully chosen (it's poetry really) !! I love the fact that she has chosen to give us both Sam and Grace's point of views ... Their love story is so romantic and I haven't noticed a time when there are "clichés" !! I mean, I'm tired of all those kind of lines :  "You're all my life" and "I can't live without you" !! 
A special mention to Grace's character : I love her and I definitely would like to be friend with her, she's so funny and reliable. However, her parents were getting on my nerves from the beginning down to the end of the book ... I can't imagine how parents like these can exist, it's pathetic really (yeah I know, it's just a book, it's not real .. but it has to exist)! Maggie really succeeds in making me hate them anyway! I thank her, because it makes me realize how much my folks are awesome !!
Let's get to Sam ... [SWOON], he is in my top ten of favorites male characters for sure !! He is this tortured artist with sad eyes who imagines songs' lyrics for almost every important moment of his life ... I think I'm in love [COUGH], I'm sorry ! 
I'm kind of hurrying myself to finish this review (which is definitely not a good thing, I'm sorry) in order to go reading Linger (book 2 in the series) !! I'm such a bad person ... =(
Favorites quotes : 
" I smiled at the stacks, inhaling again. Hundreds of thousands of pages that had never been turned, waiting for me. The shelves were a warm, blond wood, piled with spines of every color. Staff picks were arranged on tables, glossy covers reflecting the light back at me. Behind the little cubby where the cashier sat, ignoring us, stairs covered with rich burgundy carpet led up to worlds unknown. "I could just live here", I said. " - Grace, page 199 ( I totally picture myself living in a book store too) !! 
"You don't think of me as a delicate flower in comparison to you ?" When I laughed again, he pressed, "Okay, what words would you use then ?" 
I leaned back in the seat, thinking, as Sam looked at me doubtfully. He was right to look doubtful. My head didn't work with words very well - at least not in this abstract, descriptive sort of way. "Sensitive," I tried . 
Sam translated : "Squinshy."
"Creative."
"Dangerously emo."
"Thoughtful."
"Feng shui." (Sam and Grace, page 207)

"Should I play the friendly boyfriend or are we just friends ?" 
"Boyfriend. I'm not pretending."
Sam edged two inches away from me and pulled his arm from behind my head, resting it on the back of the couch behind me instead. To the wall, he said, "Hello Grace's parents. I'm Grace's boyfriend. Please notice the chaste distance between us. I am very responsible and have never had my tongue in your daughter's mouth." (Sam and Grace, page 223)

"How long have you been going out ?"
Sam let go of my hands to get his wallet and took out some bills. "Six years."
I wrinkled my nose to cover a laugh. Of course he would count the time we'd been two entirely different species. 
"Whoa." Counter girl nodded appreciately. "That's pretty amazing for a couple of your age."
[...] "Well, it was love at first sight."
The girl sighed. "That is just so romantic. Do me a favor and don't you two ever change. The world needs more love at first sight." (page 282)
I had a lot more quotations ... but well I didn't want to type the whole novel in my post !! 
My rating : 
Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★★★★
Writing : ★★★★

It was such a nice read !! If you haven't read it yet, well ... DO IT  !! 
What did you think of this book ? Leave the link of your review, I'll be happy to take a look at it ; !!

 


12 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed thos! Its truly amazinggg. I also LOVE how it tells the story from both point of views =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Haven't read this yet but I loved your description of the characters and the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Maggie Stiefvater is a genius! So glad you enjoyed it. Love that you included all those quotes. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just about finished with Linger - will probably write my thoughts tomorrow. I think this one might be even more poetic than Shiver. I've got so many passaged marked, there's no way I can talk about them all. It's not just the story, it's the WAY it is written. I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much agree with you! Shiver was romantic without being too cliche (lol I'm on my friends computer so I don't have the accent marks - forgive me!)... I really hate books where the teen romance is flooded with dialogue such as "I'd die without you" and "You are my entire life" *coughcough* Twilight [which was a great book, minus the mushy dialogue between Bella and Edward]

    also, you picked some great quotes! <33

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lool! I'm glad you enjoyed it Elodie! I can't wait to read my copy. But I think I'll wait to get Linger first before reading Shiver if its really that good. :D Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be reading Shiver for the YA Series Challenge so it's really good to see that you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading this for a challenege , I cant wait to start! ive heard pretty awesome things about this book, and your review doesnt dissapoint :) keep up the good wrk!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! I'm dying to read this book!
    Dis moi, la lecture n'est pas trop difficile? Ça ressemble aux autres YA books qu'on lit? Et est-ce que c'est vraiment imprimé en bleu les lettres?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I've GOT to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the end of this book I almost cried with happiness! The last two lines were the best! Everything in the book was leading up to that. I love how Maggie Stiefvater knows how to right a good book, make us feel for the characters, and how she has AMAZING quotes!

    Every time I closed this book, it was like a was closing the pages on real life. Like the book had become reality and reality became the book. That is how a book should feel like.

    I think Grace and Sam have the BEST relationship! They love each other sooooo much and would do anything to stay together! If only this romance could happen to some people..... sign!

    Lolz catz

    BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These books are better than Twilight by far!

    ReplyDelete