2.25.2011

Review Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Goodreads : Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad—her chance to escape everyone and their pitying stares—has been canceled.
After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb’s free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers.
Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It’s a bleak and tortuous journey for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other.

My thoughts : It was a very cute and moving read. That's why I love Simone Elkeles' books : the plot is quite simple and sometimes predictable but she manages to create characters who feel so real and her writing is so beautiful !!
Maggie had been hit by a car a year ago and she just got out of the hospital ..
Caleb was the one who hit Maggie with his car and he just got out of juvenile detention ..
They will somehow end up in love.
I really can't go any further because it wouldn't be very spoiler free otherwise.
Caleb is a very swoon worthy male character, here's how I was picturing him when I was reading the book :
And Maggie is probably one of the most moving characters I've ever met ..

So if like me, you're very fond of Simone Elkeles books, I highly recommend this series. Sorry for this extremely short review guys =) !!



Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

11 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I want to read this book! Unfortunately, my library doesn't have it. I may have to take a trip to the book store tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been sitting on my bookshelf! I need to read it!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guy is cute! I really need to read this book, I have had it forever in my reading stack. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwh! Thats Caleb from Pretty Little Liars! :D I want to read this series. I really hope I'd get the chance to win it from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review!
    l love how characters can make a book, l think they can make for the best books. The ones with strong characters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Review! I've been wanting this book for a looong time and the guy is cute...he's from Pretty Little Liars! and i think his name is Caleb in the TV series as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. J'ai eu un énorme coup de coeur pour "irrésistible Alchimie", l'auteur est vraiment bien! Dommage que je ne lise pas en VO, sinon j'aurais dévoré tous ces romans XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Je pense tester les 2 tomes, pour mon lancement dans la lecture VO. J'espère que ça le fera :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pictured Caleb like the Caleb from PLL too haha. This series was so good. I just finished reading them.

    ReplyDelete