2.21.2011

Review Other Words for Love (spoiler free)

Goodreads : When an unexpected inheritance enables Ari to transfer to an elite Manhattan prep school, she makes a wealthy new friend, Leigh. Leigh introduces Ari to the glamorous side of New York--and to her gorgeous cousin, Blake. Ari doesn't think she stands a chance, but amazingly, Blake asks her out. As their romance heats up, they find themselves involved in an intense, consuming relationship. Ari's family worries that she is losing touch with the important things in life, like family, hard work, and planning for the future.  
When misfortune befalls Blake's family, he pulls away, and Ari's world drains of color. As she struggles to get over the breakup, Ari must finally ask herself: were their feelings true love . . . or something else?

My thoughts : 
I was expecting way more from this book so I'm kind of disappointed ..
Let's start with what I liked about Other Words for Love. I enjoyed reading the evolution of the main character (Ari) and seeing her becoming an adult .. I liked the morale that the book delivers (which I won't tell, otherwise you'll know how it ends). But, I didn't feel connected with the main protagonist : I thought she was sometimes really immature and she infatuated with every single boy she met .. even if it's on purpose, I mean, she has to go through these events in order to grow up .. Besides, there were a lot of passages when nothing really happened and as a consequence I wasn't really hooked to the book .. 
I really wanted to love Other Words for Love but unfortunately it was not the case.


My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

11 comments:

  1. aw, too bad you didn't like it. i mean, it sounds pretty awesome to me (ive kinda mentioned that already, but oh well :D).
    also, thanks for the follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I don't love that she's infatuated with every boy she meets, that's never something I've been able to relate to, but it's nice to know she does mature as the book progresses. Nice review Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never really interested in this book and then everyone was like oh it was so great blah blah, but I think if I would read it I would have the same opinion as you... I will probably give it a try in a month or so when I am not so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad. I've heard mixed things about this one. It is nice seeing people change as a book goes on, but not if they annoy you too much during the growing process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hate it when you're expecting so much more and end up dissapointed! I've been curious about this one but hopefully library gets it. T
    hanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting to see a different opinion on this book.. thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, sorry you were a bit disappointed. I'm interested to see how I'll find the main character when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sucks you were disappointed by this and there wasn't really a connection with the main character. I am still very curious about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I'm sorry you didn't really like it. I guess I'll have to wait to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah finalement c'était pas génial? :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. j'avais envie de lire ce livre mais ton avis me refroidit.....

    ReplyDelete