2.10.2011

Review : Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Goodreads : Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.
When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?


My thoughts :  
I loved it !! This was even greater than the first book .. What I reproached to Wings (the first one in the series) was that the plot wasn't really there. In Spells, there's a lot more action but really, it's the characters who make this book what it is : full of passion ! There are a lot of moving passages in Spells, but I'm quite a sensitive person, so it might just be me .. but I doubt it. I'm still crazy about Tamani, but who wouldn't be ? You so have to read this series even if it's just for him, he's so worth it ... Something that I really enjoyed too was that we get to visit Avalon (the faerie realm) and it's just awesome. I also liked all this system that faeries have to classify their people according to their rank : 
-the most powerful and uncommon are Winter faeries
-then come the Fall faeries (Laurel is one of them)
-Summer faeries
-and Spring Faeries (Tamani belongs to this category)
That reminds me a little of the feudal system : noblemen, clergy ... (LOL)
Laurel was really getting on my nerves .. but I can't really tell you why because it wouldn't be very "spoiler free" otherwise !! To sum up the situation : I hate David and I love Tamani !! =) 


No quotes sorry (I was so focused and fascinated by this book that it was hard to stop and pick up some quotations) !! 


My rating : 
Plot : ★★★
Characters : ★★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★★

My next read : 

Before I fall by Lauren Oliver 

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one, but thought it wasn't as good as Wings. I thought she tried to cover too much ground and everything suffered. Laurel really bugged me too. I like David a lot, but thought she wasn't nice enough to Tamani. Or maybe it was that she lead him on. I loved the fairy mythology and can't wait to learn more about it. Still can't wait for the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you think this one is better than the first one Elodie! I love when books in a series improve upon the last one:) I love the sound of these characters, they seem really moving and dynamic and I'm looking forward to meeting them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I think I said when you read Wings was that I liked Spells better. I feel the characters mature nicely and I'm totally on Tam's side. I can't wait for the next book.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review :) This one I have on my bookshelf soon to read :) So looking forward to it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im happy you enjoyed spells so much. I liked it better than wings. My heart goes out to Tam and I love him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree this was even better than Wings. And I love Tamani too. I hope Laurel ends up with him in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have yet to start reading this series, but your review makes me want to go pick it up now :) thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review Elodie! I'm really curious about Tamani now. :D and Why you hate this Laurel. I shall try and see if I can get this book within this year! I'm really jealous at your variety of books! :D Makes me wonder how your shelves look like. Thanks for the review! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best thing is to outdo the first book and glad to hear this one did.

    Going to library to pick these books up and bravo for book number 2!

    ReplyDelete