2.23.2011

Review Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley

Goodreads : Meet Corrinne. She's living every girl's dream in New York City—shopping sprees at Barneys, open access to the best clubs and parties, and her own horse at the country club. Her perfect life is perfectly on track. At least it was. . . .
When Corrinne's father is laid off, her world suddenly falls apart. Instead of heading to boarding school, she's stripped of her credit cards and shipped off to the boonies of Texas to live with her grandparents. On her own in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the life she's supposed to be living. She doesn't care who she stomps on in the process. But when Corrinne makes an unlikely friend and discovers a total hottie at work, she begins to wonder if her life B.R.—before the recession—was as perfect as it seemed.

My thoughts : 
That was a cute read. The plot was kind of déja but it's always nice to read this kind of books even if you know what the end will be like. Corrinne is this rich girl living in New York who leads a perfect life but one day her parents announce that they've got to move to Texas for an undefined period of time because of money issues .. That, of course, puts Corrinne, the spoiled girl, in a tough position. She goes to live in Broken Spoke, a small town in Texas, with her grandparents and sees herself as doomed. However, as you can guess, she'll make friends and undergo huge changes in her personality. Corrinne was a very likeable character, well not at the beginning of the book.
But, I'd have wanted a little more romance : the cover represents Corrinne and a mysterious boy (well, I know which boy it must represent) but there isn't that much romance in Where I Belong .. which is too bad, really. This book is more about friendship, family and community than love.

I have no idea if this book is a stand alone or if there will be a sequel .. Do you know ?

My rating : 

Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

16 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm going to see if my library has this book, and add it to my reading list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I'm almost finished with this one. We agree on a few things, hope to post my review tomorrow.
    Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's be honest, I'm a hopeless romantic! I'm always on the look out for a cute, romantic read... I'm kinda disappointed that "Where I Belong" doesn't have much romance in it :( i'll have to double think whether i add it to me tbr pile or not. Have you Anna and the French kiss? Now THAT is an awesome romantic read :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like a little romance in my books so I understand your disappointment when there isn't much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sounds to me like the hannah montana movie too--which i loved, mostly because the male love interest was hawwwt :D
    will check this one out too, probably

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover! This sounds really good. I can't wait to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just won 2 awards! :)
    Congratulations! http://frosybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/7-facts-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I love when there is romance, so I'll see if I read this one. I'm sorry I don't know if this book is a part of a series...
    btw the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one looks so cute. Not enough romance? With a cover like that? That's surprising, and too bad, I agree. Great review, Elodie! I think this will move down a few notches on my tbr list, but I'll get to it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your review and for stopping by my blog!

    This seems like an interesting read, but as you said, I would think that there would be more romance on it just from the cover. I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this book would be all romance too. Oh well at least I know what to expect and it still sounds like a sweet read :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you liked this one. I'm still waiting for the copy that my local library has ordered to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Review! :D OMG I really want to read this book, heard about it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like such a sweet book. Fabulous review. I'm sold on this now, Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm such a big fan of romance in books, so I think I would be a little let down there's not as much in this one, especially since the cover and blurb leads me to believe there might be some:) I don't mind when there's no romance in YA and other issues are brought to the forefront, but when it looks like the romance will be a bigger part of the book and then it turns out to be not much of anything I can't help but feel a twinge of disappointment. Great review Elodie, this one still sounds adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is funny because I was just reading your Other Words for Love review and I loved that book. On the other hand, I just finished this book and felt pretty much how you felt with Other Words for Love. I thought Where I Belong was okay, but it was also a let down for what I was expecting. I did not think that Corinne made that much growth through the book and I wondered how much here experiences in Texas were really going to impact her life. I do agree with you that I had expected more romance though!

    ReplyDelete