3.27.2011

Review : The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Goodreads : Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers. Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.
My thoughts : I'm really disappointed in The Body Finder. I was expecting so much out of this book ... A lot of people love the series, and I wanted to love it too .. but that wasn't the case.
Let's start with what I liked about it. Kimberly's writing is really nice and pages are turning from themselves.
I liked having chapters with the murderer POV and I enjoyed Violet's abilities (she's kind of a necromancer, but not exactly).
The main thing in which I am disappointed is the characters. I really didn't manage to like Violet's character (she's not mean or something .. but let's say, some choices she made seem to me a bit idiot).
I really liked Jay at the beginning of the book, but the more I was reading, the more I disliked him : he made me swoon sometimes but mostly I found him too cheesy with Violet .. There were some aspects of Violet and Jay's relationship that I loved (the best friend thing and all ..) but, I don't know, that was just too easy for me, too predictable and too cliché.
To finish, I really hated the ending : it was like V&J's romance : easy and predictable.

I'm so sorry for not liking this book .. I hope that you won't hate me for doing this review, but I just wasn't hooked by the plot and by the characters which is kind of rare for me if you read some of my reviews.

My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

My next read : 

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

9 comments:

  1. Oh no! I think you're the first one that I know think it's quite a let down. Maybe so much hype is not that good. Thanks for the honest review by the way =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that your honest and should not feel sorry at all! l like both negative and positive reviews on books =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol nobody should hate you for not liking a book. Good on you for being honest!
    Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwh, Don't be silly! No one will hate you for not liking a book! *hugs* Dont feel bad. Honestly, its could I read this because I was expecting so much from the books already. So I shall be lowering my expectations and still read the series. Maybe I'll like it a lot more than. :D

    Thank you for the Review Elodie! Keep it up. I love Honest reviews. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you shouldn't apologize for not liking a book at all!! There are a lot of books I've read that I don't care for, that other people love. Don't be sorry!! :) Great review, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't apologize! Not every book is for every reader :)

    I agree with your opinion. I felt like outside of his feelings for Violet, Jay was seriously lacking a personality, which is unattractive. I hope the second one is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I just finished this morning. I ended up with 3.5 stars. I did like it, I just thought something was missing. But I will read the next one :) Its good to be honest though with your reviews :)
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm I actually liked this one. I thought the storyline was predictable but I liked the relationship between Vi and Jay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Je vois que comme Marie tu n'as pas trop apprécié! Pourtant j'attends avec impatience de le lire celui-là...

    ReplyDelete