3.10.2011

Review : The Candidates by Inara Scott !!

Goodreads : Dancia Lewis is far from popular. And that's not just because of her average grades or her less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia's mediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a person threatening someone she cares about, things just...happen. Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everything possible to avoid getting close to anyone, belieiving this way she can supress her powers and keep them hidden. But when recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy show up in her living room to offer her a full scholarship, Dancia's days of living under the radar may be over. Only, Delcroix is a school for diplomats' kids and child geniuses--not B students with uncontrollable telekinetic tendencies. So why are they treating Dancia like she's special? Even the hottest guy on campus seems to be going out of his way to make Dancia feel welcome.
And then there's her mysterious new friend Jack, who can't stay out of trouble. He suspects something dangerous is going on at the Academy and wants Dancia to help him figure out what. But Dancia isn't convinced. She hopes that maybe the recruiters know more about her "gift" than they're letting on. Maybe they can help her understand how to use it...But not even Dancia could have imagined what awaits her behind the gates of Delcroix Academy.

My thoughts : 
I'm so glad I finally decided to read this book because it was GREAT !! It's the story of Dancia, a girl who lives with her grandmother and doesn't really fit in at school. One day, there are a man and a boy (about her age) who come to her house and ask her to join this Academy of gifted kids. She accepts to be transfered there ... and realizes that the school hides a lot of secrets. Sorry for this crappy summary =) !
The characters are awesome : it's really easy to identify to Diancia and there are two hotties in this book : Jack (the bad boy <3) and Cam (the nice one who always keeps an eye on Dancia). They are both really likeable but I have to admit that I'm definitely Team Jack even if Cam is very swoon worthy.
The plot isn't super original but I managed to get hooked to it anyway and read the book quickly. I think, as it is the first book in the series, it just sets the story and presents the characters ...
I strongly advise you to read this book and I'm hoping you'll like it as much as I did.

My rating : 

Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

My next read : 

You Against Me by Jenny Downham

9 comments:

  1. l haven't ever heard of this book so thank you!!
    I look forward to seeing what you think of You Against Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Thanks for commenting on my Spells review. I actually just finished and advanced copy of Illusions and it was another great addition to the series. I'm jealous you have You Against Me though that doesn't come out in the states for another 4 months I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Elodie! You need to put down the books for a day. I fear for your eyes! I mean you finish one book a day and I'm like O.O. I admire you completely with your dedication and stuffies. I mean, everytime I finish reading a review of yours a couple of hours later you have another one up! I am AMAZED! <3 Great Review! I've seen this book around. But never knew what it was about until now! <333 Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its okay bout the spoiler! haha. :D I feel like a zombie after I read too much. Do you ever get that feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review!! I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds really great! So I've got to go check it out now. :)~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I really haven't heard much about this book but now I am adding it to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the second rave review I've seen for this book today! I guess I need to set aside my reservations and read it after all haha fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm firmly on the Team Jack side, I found him so much more interesting than Cam, even though like you said, he is swoon-worthy. I just think there's something going on with Cam that we don't know about yet, I feel very suspicious of him:) I can't wait to read the second book though and see what the Program is all about! Nice review Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a new one for me as well. It sounds interesting. A book a day? I'm jealous....lol

    ReplyDelete