3.26.2011

Review : XVI by Julia Karr

Goodreads : Nina Oberon's life is pretty normal: she hangs out with her best friend, Sandy, and their crew, goes to school, plays with her little sister, Dee. But Nina is 15. And like all girls she'll receive a Governing Council-ordered tattoo on her 16th birthday. XVI. Those three letters will be branded on her wrist, announcing to all the world—even the most predatory of men—that she is ready for sex. Considered easy prey by some, portrayed by the Media as sluts who ask for attacks, becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear. That is, until right before her birthday, when Nina's mom is brutally attacked. With her dying breaths, she reveals to Nina a shocking truth about her past—one that destroys everything Nina thought she knew. Now, alone but for her sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer.

My thoughts :  If you like dystopias, you definitely have to read this book. I started reading it last week and finished it today, a book in a week : I know so not like me. As my exams are getting closer, I was really busy and even if the book was good, I didn't pick it up enough. 
I loved Julia Karr's writing and the society she created was so shocking. That's definitely my kind of books. 
The characters are awesome : I especially admire Nina's strength.
This book is really moving : there were several passages when I almost cried (almost .. but I swear the tears were near). 
There are violent and sexual passages in this book but in my opinion it adds to the moving part. It's more mentioned than it is described. 
I strongly advise you to read this book, especially if you're a big fan of dystopias. I'll definitely read Truth (the second book in the series). 


My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

I also wanted to apologize for the lack of posts and comments on your blogs guys .. I only have one month left of classes then I'll have my exams .. (crossed fingers)  and after that 5 months vacation, yep that's not a mistake = FIVE MONTHS (from May to September) !!

12 comments:

  1. Great review, I really liked this book too. I am totally planning on reading Truth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the fence about this one but I think I might give it a try now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je pense pas le lire mais je suis contente que tu ais aimé :). Je n'aime pas autant le dystopie que toi donc bon ^^. Par contre il y a un livre de dystopie qui sort en Mai qui m'intéresse beaucoup Divergent ! Mais on en avait parlé non? ^^

    Et oui je suis complètement désolé j'ai zappé qu'on devait lire Forbidden en meme temps O_O. Mais oui faut absolument que tu le lises je veux en parler à quelqu'un il m'a bouleversé ce livre je pense meme que c'est un de mes livres préférés maintenant !!! Je l'ai lu toute la journée hier et finis à 2 heures du matin cette nuit ^^.

    Et sinon le livre que je lis maintenant c'est Les dames du lac de Marion Zimmer Bradley c'est un livre de fantasy elle reprend toutes les héroïnes de la légende arthurienne dedans ça à l'air génial et ça faisait un moment que je voulais le lire :) c'est un des livres préférés de Richelle Mead d'ailleurs !

    Bisous <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! 5 months?! I will be expecting dozens of reviews from you during that time. :D Hahaha. Awesome Review Elodie! I just newly ventured into dystopian novels starting off with the Hunger Games. So far I love it. So I'm curious about what this book has in store for me when I read it. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one, Elodie! What a great review. It definitely sounds like an intense read.

    5 months vacation! You lucky girl! Good luck on your exams! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, l loved this book too and l am glad you liked it. l think it has some very moving parts.
    Secondly, goodluck with your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved this book as well :D
    Can't wait for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just won this one in a contest and I've been excited to read it. Thanks for the warning about the violence and sexual passages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I didn't enjoy this one too much but I am still curious about Truth :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh I can't wait to read this! It's been on my TBR list forever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this one. Going to move it up to read in April now. I love the cover and my friend Mrs Q loved it too.

    PS Doing giveaway of Wither in April... and it will be International. Je te donnes des nouvelles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review! I've been hesitant to get this one, but I think I will :)

    ReplyDelete