5.28.2011

Review ; Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Goodreads :  
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My thoughts : 
This book is the perfect summer read !! I got into it from the beginning .. Amy and Roger's road trip was kind of fascinating to me : I got to learn a lot about the USA (YAY) and I'm always happy to learn more about this huge country. Some of your states are even bigger than my country (which is France for those who don't know) guys, that's just crazy ! Besides, the author chose to put pictures, playlists .. for each state Amy and Roger visited or passed through and that was just awesome and very uncommon. = Great idea ;)
The two main characters, Amy and Roger, were both really funny and cute .. 
Morgan Matson's writing is wonderful. It really makes it hard to drop the book. Do you guys know if she's writing anything at the moment ? I definitely look forward to read her next novel.
One thing that I regret though is that the romance between the two characters shows up kind of late (according to me). I was always like "Go ahead, kiss him" !

Overall, it was a very refreshing and cute read but I was hoping for a little more romance from this book. 


My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★

16 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read this one, it sounds so cute. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Elodie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed this, it is one of my favourite books. And I agree Matson does make us wait for that kissing scene :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this at the library weeks ago. I hope noone's borrowed it yet because I'm totally stealing- I mean, I'm totally borrowing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored this one! It was simply too cute and I think Morgan Matson did an excellent job detailing the road trip with all the scrapbook bits. Great review - I want to do a re-read right now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Elodie, you just make me even more excited to read this =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait to read this! Your review has made me sure I'll love it!
    Lettie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one does sound really cute, I love stories about road trips, I live vicariously through them since I don't really travel all that much:) Really fun review Elodie, I need to make time for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah summer reads... if only MTL had the sun to reflect anything dealing with summer!

    Noting this one down for the day we actually get sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this one, and I adored it! It makes me want to go on a US road trip! I'd better start saving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound like a great summer read. I'm going to be adding this one to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep hearing this one is so cute. It definitely sounds like the type of book I'd like. Fab review, Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds super cute! I guess I'll have to check this one out this summer if you think it makes the perfect summer read :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The way she included the images and such were such a cool touch. I have been watching for something new from her, but have not heard of anything. :( Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw this book today at the bookstore and was skeptical about it. Next time I'm grabbing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the thoughtful and interesting review. I found you through the Small Blogs Big Giveaway blog hop and am now a new follower.
    Laurie
    Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews

    ReplyDelete