5.25.2011

Review : The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (spoiler free)

Goodreads : Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…
Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.
But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

My thoughts : 
I finnally read this book, YAY ! I'm glad I did because it was really good. Riley is a demon trapper just like her dad, she's 17 years old and the only female trapper in the Guild and a very badass character. That's one of the things I liked about her : she's not one of the girls who always has her ass saved by the boys! She's lost her mom of cancer and at the beginning of the book another tragic and very unexpected (I really wasn't foreseeing it at all) thing (very vague, I know) happens to her. .. My favorite character of this book is definitely Beck (Denver Beck) : I loved how he always called Riley "Princess" or "Kid" and teased her. It's like he doesn't want to admit that she's not a kid anymore because he's afraid of what he feels for her.
Simon's character was pretty cool too but unfortunately I didn't buy the romance between him and Riley, it was too easy .. As you've probably understand I'm Team Beck :)
I really enjoyed Jana Oliver's writing, I kept wanting to know what was going to happen and it was very hard to drop this book. I also appreciated the fact that the author doesn't ban sex from her book because that's YA (that tends to get on my nerves when authors do that). I don't mean sex sex, I mean only mentionning it ..
One of the things that dissapointed me though was the ending .. I would have love to have a bigger cliff hanger (yeah I know, but I love when a book leaves me with a lot of questions and wanting to pick up the sequel right after having finished the first book).
Overall, I had an awesome time reading it : great characters, great plot, great writing .. Can't wait to read Soul Thief, I'm especially dying to know if something will happen between Beck and Riley ! Great job Mrs Oliver
;)

A quote :
"She threw the snowball and it struck center chest. He oofed, glared, and then stalked toward her, intent on his prey. "You called it, Princess!" She turned to escape, but a snowball hit her right on the butt. He'd planned a similar ambush.
"That wasn't hard to hit," he joked.
"Are you saying my butt is big ?" she demanded.

My rating : 

Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★

12 comments:

  1. Soooo glad you enjoyed this! I am really looking forward to starting the series, it sounds so great. I might have to break my book buying ban to get this. :) Thank you for sharing your awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably already know I LOVE this book! I think I'm pretty Team Beck also. Simon is cool...but Beck is just awesome! I love that quote, it was one of my favorite parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also called Forsaken, right? I've been wanting to read this one, I'm actually going to borrow this from a fellow blogger. I've read mixed reviews about this but to hear (or rather read) that you enjoyed it makes me really happy and relieved because I trust your taste in books! Great review, Elodie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley sounds awesome. I love female characters who doesn't need rescuing. I definitely have to move this to the top of my reading pile.

    Great review Elodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading this right now & completely enjoying it! Lovely review(and so far I am Team Beck too :P )!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I've been wondering whether to bump this on my to-read pile once I snag myself a copy and you've just confirmed that I SO need to. I love those type of kickass protagonists, give me a girl who can hold her own over a damsel in distress anyday! And the whole demon aspect really intrigues me. Plus you have me curious about Beck now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bon bah je crois que j'ai plus qu'à me lancer ! :D
    Par contre, ce sera un trilogie ou plus ?
    En tout cas : great review ;).
    Happy reading ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im so glad you enjoyed it, im not sure which team im on but when they have that first kiss then I will know. I liked that she wouldn't give up and how determined she was. Definitely a great book!

    awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww! i love your review! this has been sitting in my pile for the longesttt time! Reading your reviews makes me notice that I'm falling behind on my reading :)haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book!!! Denver Beck is just awesome guy..can't wait to read Forbidden and Forgiven....

    Great review!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's it SO MOVING THIS ONE UP FOR NOW!

    Amazing review and will hop to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Je l'ajoute sur ma liste, nice review :)

    ReplyDelete