5.10.2011

Review : Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (spoiler free)

Goodreads :
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

My thoughts : 
First of all, this book is written by a German author but I read a French translation of it. This is a spoiler free review.
I have mixed feelings regarding this book. In fact, I took a very long time to get into the book mostly because I’m so used to reading books in English now and it had been a long time since I’ve read books written in French, so I found the translation quite strange. Kerstin’s writing was pretty good though: I was really interested  in the plot and the pages were turning by themselves.
One of the things I loved about this book was that it is set in London. It’s a city I’m really curious about and I’m flying to London in a couple of months with friends, so everything I can read about this place, I read. Besides, I think it’s a nice change: most of the YA books I read are set in the US (not that I don’t like that, but it’s interesting to read a story that happens in a different country...)!
I have to admit that I wasn’t very fond of Gwendolyn’s character at first: I found  her a bit childish honestly. But the more I read, the more likeable she became.
Now, let’s talk about my favorite character of Ruby Red: Gideon. He is provocative, kind of harsh sometimes, but very caring and smart. As I love this type of character, I was totally under his spell.
One of the main things that makes this book what it is, is that it deals with time travel. I haven’t read that many books with time travel in them but this must be one of the things I enjoyed the most about Ruby Red: I’ve actually noticed that all my favorites scenes were those which occurred in the past (during a time travel) and those where Gideon was present.
Overall that was a nice read: I had some problems with the translation and the main character but I loved the setting, the time travel theme and Gideon’s character. 
My rating :   
Plot : ★★

Characters : ★★

Ending : ★★

Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★

9 comments:

  1. Glad you mostly liked it. I haven`t read it yet. But I got the norwegian edition on my shelf waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this one too Elodie! I really enjoyed the time travel aspect and of course Gideon, I just wanted some more answers! There was such a good, complicated mystery in there and I wanted it solved but I know there are 2 more books coming so I just have to suck it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some translated books aren't properly translated and kind of ruin the essence of the book sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes. I haven't read this book yet and I'm curious about it since it has time travel involved and to be frank I haven't read a book thats on that subject. Thanks for the review! Enjoy your new Layout! I'll be posting up a screenshot of your blog on my design blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! This book looks really interesting. Sometimes translated books frustrate me!! I think I'll have to pick this one up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doesn't change anything, I still want to read the book lol. Thanks for your honest review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think perhaps I enjoyed Ruby Red more then you but I'm glad you still liked it. I really loved the whole premise and some of my favorite scenes were in the past as well. Plus I love how much detail went into the outfits that Gwen and Gideon had to wear. I can't wait to read the sequel that's for sure! Also love the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your honest review! I will read it no matter what lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah ça c'est clair que Gideon est intéressant lol. Il est chiant mais on adore ça :p Les voyages dans le temps étaient bien fait c'est vrai. Moi c'est la fin qui m'a fait drôle, j'avais l'impression qu'il n'y en avait pas. Hâte de lire la suite =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read the polish version and it was amazing :) I think that our translator has a great sense of humor becouse I was laughing a lot. I highly recommend this book!

    ReplyDelete