5.12.2011

Review : Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr :

Goodreads : All teenagers have problems, but few of them can match those of Aislinn, who has the power to see faeries. Quite understandably, she wishes that she could share her friends' obliviousness and tries hard to avoid these invisible intruders. But one faery in particular refuses to leave her alone. Keenan the Summer King is convinced beyond all reasoning that Aislinn is the queen he has been seeking for nine centuries. What's a 21st-century girl to do when she's stalked by a suitor nobody else can see? A debut fantasy romance for the ages; superlative summer read.

My thoughts : 
I had already read this book in French last year but I wanted to re-read it in English so as to read the whole series one book after the other. I have no idea why but I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did when I first read it. I guess it was because I knew what was going to happen .. 

The plot was kind of slow and I didn't manage to enjoy the author's writing as much as I expected to. I'm hoping I'll manage to enjoy it more in the second book though. 

I really liked the characters : 
- Aislinn is a good main character : brave and protective.
- Keenan and Seth are both swoon worthy but I have to admit that I have a slight preference for Keenan. My weakness for provocative and arrogant boys is once again showing up ^^.

One of the main reasons I think I didn't love Wicked Lovely is because I've read so many awesome faeries series recently (the Fever series, the Wings series ..) that I have very high expectations regarding this kind of books now. 
I have the next two books of the series sitting on my selves and I'm going to start reading Ink Exchange right after having finished typing this review ..
Have you read this book ? this series ? Did you like it ? Does it get better ? =) 


My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★




10 comments:

  1. I can't reread books because of that reason, l am so sure l will not enjoy it as much as the first time as l know what's going to happen.
    I look forward to your review of the second book in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of liked it but at the same time it didn't quiet do it for me either. It was slow in the beginning as well. I'm hoping it'll be different in Ink Exchange. :D Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series yet but I own the first four books. Lol I guess I'm trying to say I hope I like them since I own most of the series so far. I hope you like the second book more than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I read the first book but didn't really like it. That's why I don't know if I'll read the second one which is also in my bookshelf...
    Great review, thanks to be honest. See, there's a huge difference between the French version and the English one. I think I'll try and read this book in French ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked this one! I read this book about a year ago and I really enjoyed it, but when I tried Ink Exchange, which is not a sequel but a companion novel about Aislinn's friend, and Fragile Eternity, the second in Aislinn's story---I just couldn't get into them. Maybe I will try again someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other fae stories... have you tired the Kagawa ones?? Iron king, Iron Queen, etc???

    Ahhh I guess I'll have to put this one on hold for now.

    Thanks for the honest point of view.

    PS I have Divergent up for giveaway... it's international ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. J'ai lu les deux premiers tomes en français (j'attends le troisième ^^)et personnellement j'ai beaucoup aimé, même adoré sans qu'ils ne soient pourtant des coups de coeur. Je trouve que l'univers est vraiment intéressant et puis les relations entre les personnages sont complexes et si ça m'a un peu déroutée au début, je trouve que ça a du charme x)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coucou ! Je voulais poster ce message déjà il y a quelques jours, mais il y avait, comme tu le sais sûrement, des problèmes sur Blogger et du coup mon commentaire ne s'enregistrait pas.
    Fin bref ... ^^
    Je voulais dire que je fais partie de ceux qui ont été déçus par ce livre. J'avais lu des critiques géniales, mais je n'ai pas vraiment accroché. Les personnages m'ont semblé un peu tirés par les cheveux (Seth surtout), je n'ai pas réussi à m'attacher à eux et la mythologie assez complexe, ce qui ne me dérange pas a priori, mais les explications manquaient, je trouve. Bref, je ne comprenais pas très bien l'enjeu du livre. C'était aussi le 1er livre avec des fées que j'ai lu, donc ça a peut-être joué dans mon sentiment amer.
    Je suis contente que tu aies apprécié :)
    Ah, oui, et je voulais dire aussi que pour une fois je préfère la cover originale à la VF :)
    Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read Wicked Lovely series but I really want to. My TBR is too huge for me to add a series with a lot of installments! I did hear that Seth and Keenan are both swoon-worthy. I already know who Aislinn's going to end up with, haha. I can't help reading spoilers of the series I want to read. :p

    - Chel
    The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  10. i still need to start it :[ I'll let you know if I like it!

    ReplyDelete