5.03.2011

Review : Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Goodreads : What if you knew exactly when you would die?
Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.
When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.
But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.


My thoughts : 
Wither is an amazing book if, like me, you happen to love dystopias. I couldn't drop the book once I started reading it and I really enjoyed Lauren DeStefano's writing. This book was definitely a page-turner (for me). 

Rhine, the main protagonist, is someone I felt close to from the beginning of the story : she's abducted, forced into marriage with a man she doesn't know and yearns for freedom. She's definitely someone I would love to be friend with. 
The other characters were awesome as well. I especially loved Jenna, Gabriel and Lynden. 
I'm a bit dissatisfied with the ending which I find kind of easy and I'd have rather had a bigger cliffhanger. 

Overall, this book was great and I'm really looking forward to read the sequel.
I'd like to thank Aisle B for sending this book to me .. I'm so happy to have won it !! 

My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★★






15 comments:

  1. This sounds like it's going to be such an interesting read. :) So glad you enjoyed reading it! Hopefully I can pick it up sometime soon. :) Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this books too, but I agree with the ending. I need the second book! Great review:)
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. Looking forward to read this one :) It`s pretty high on my wishlist :)

    But didn`t know there were going to be a sequel :S Why do all books have sequels all the time xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like this one, Elodie! I thought it was amazing! Definitely can't wait for the next book in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I'm glad you felt connected to the main character. When I make a connect I always like the book more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to read this! Although I like dystopian this one doesn't seem that I would enjoy it but I'm only hearing good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking forward to your review after seeing your teaser.
    So glad you enjoyed this, l can not wait to read it myself =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I have this on my wishlist and I've seen good teasers from this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Review! I loved Wither-- glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this one too! I was just fascinated the whole time by all the characters and how they handled their situation. I was hoping for something more at the end as well, but I'm really looking forward to book 2:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought this book last week and can't wait to read it!

    I'm laughing that you want a big cliffhanger. But then you'd have to wait sooo long to figure out what happens! LOL.

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. Celui-ci me tente beaucoup, je le lirais à sa sortie je pense - j'espère ^^ J'adore les dystopies x)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I can't wait to read this myself, my copy which I won came in the post yesterday :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you I was swept into the world of Wither and I was a bit disappointed with the ending too. It was exactly that... it was too easy of a way out. Also would you believe I felt that Linden was more worthy of her than Gabriel...TEAM LINDEN! Yes, absolutely strange but I began to warm up to him in the end ... even though he was the cause of her imprisonment in the house of glass.

    Great review Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sooo jealous. I am so looking forward to this one

    ReplyDelete