5.21.2011

Short Review : Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Goodreads :
When Melinda Sordino's friends discover she called the police to quiet a party, they ostracize her, turning her into an outcast -- even among kids she barely knows. But even worse than the harsh conformity of high-school cliques is a secret that you have to hide.

My thoughts : 
It was a very emotional read. Witnessing the struggle through which Melinda is going .. it was really moving. I don't know if you've read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma but Melinda reminded me a little of Lochlan. They're both withdrawn .. What actually made me associate these two characters was the way they're always biting their lips. Melinda has gone through so much, I can't imagine how hard it must be to keep living your life after such an awful experience. The message that the author gives is to speak up, not to be afraid to tell the others what you've gone through 
I really enjoyed watching the salvation that Melinda seems to find through Art .. I'd have loved to have more scenes between Melinda and her Art teachert though, in order to really feel how drawing enables her to express her feelings .. 
I really look forward to see the movie. I've watched the trailer and it seems to be very faithful to the book. Besides, I think Kristen Stewart is the perfect actress to play Melinda.
Have you read this book ? Have you seen the movie ? Did you like it ? 


My rating :
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★

9 comments:

  1. Speak was a very emotional book. Touching and realistic too. I haven't read Forbidden yet but I have a galley of it courtesy of Galley Grab that I can't wait to begin.

    I totally forgot that there was a movie based on this book! I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this was a very emotional read. Great review..I can really feel your thoughts as you were writing this review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to read this. I watched the movies a long time ago not nowing it was a book. I interested to see how they differ. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'ai vu le film il y a quelques temps déjà et j'ai beaucoup aimé ! Je suis bien tentée à lire le livres prochainement ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coucou ! J'ai vu le film il y a trèèès longtemps ! Il était très touchant et je me sens particulièrement touchée par le sujet. Kristen a fait du bon boulot :)
    D'ailleurs, ta chronique m'a refait penser au fait que j'ai voulu lire le livre, mais j'ai dû oublier ^.^
    Il me donne vraiment envie, en tous cas ! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've been wanting to read this book for a while but have yet to pick it up. soon though. thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Speak yet. But I have read Forbidden! It was such a heartbreaking read. I hope this isn't as heartbreaking as Forbidden but I do hope that this is as awesome. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie wrote the perfect story about a teenage girl going through her high school year with the emotional drain of being rapped. It seems like this happens so much in real life you would know everything about it, and i thouht i did until i read this book. It really helps you to understand what it feels like and how hard it is to live with.

    ReplyDelete