6.19.2011

Review : Forgotten by Cat Patrick (spoiler free)

Goodreads :
Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.
Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.


My thoughts:
I don't really know what to think about this novel : there were parts that I loved and parts that I hated. 
I found the concept of this book very uncommon : London can't remember her past so she resorts to notes that she reads in the morning in order to have her important memories back. In addition to that, she can see the future.
I loved the author's writing, it is probably the thing that got me hooked to the book. Some things were very unexpected and I love being surprised .. 
I didn't like the characters that much .. I don't know why but I found them a bit dull .. Luke was a good main male character but he could have been even better according to me. 
To finish, what was this crappy ending ? I'm sorry but I didn't understand why the book ended like that, it was so abrupt and it felt very weird to me. I was turning the page wanting to know what was next and then I saw "epilogue" .. and I was like "What the hell?"! I'm sorry for overreacting but this book was very good and I was expecting a way different outcome. 
Overall, it was a very nice and original read but I ended up extremely disappointed in the ending. 
Sorry about all the grammatical mistakes that my review must contained but it's very late in France and I'm really tired so I'm going to skip the part where I re-read it, lol ! =) 


Quote : 
"Because even as my chest caves in and makes me hate the chipper birds and everything else, I know that I needed to read this today, and I need to read it again tomorrow. 
For me, reading is remembering."

Rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★

12 comments:

  1. Very balanced review, Elodie! I can definitely understand all the reasons you loved and hated this book for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the sound of this one, despite the flaws. Great honest, balanced review, Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this one today and I can totally understand what your saying about the novel. The beginning felt so slow and then the ending felt very rushed. I also felt the the HUGE reveal was set up way to late in the book and therefore nothing with that entire plot felt very resolved. I will say I liked both London & Luke quite a bit though. Great honesty in your review. To bad we both didn't like it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've heard good things about this one and am interested in it because of the psychological issue. It's too bad though that you didn't enjoy the characters as much or the ending. I hate when a book is awesome but then ends on a crappy note because the ending is usually what you remember later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great honest review. I have read a few mixed ones for this. I am tempted to look at the last page before buying this. I hate disappointing endings too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you for the ending. I was a bit disappointed in this conclusion also. I found it a bit rushed. But I loved the story it was so pristine and unseen. (My review will arrive shortly on the blog :D )

    By the way great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Elodie we're review twins today! I had a similar reaction to you on this one, I enjoyed parts of it and I did like London and Luke, I just wasn't blown away by anything. And while I can appreciate an open-ended conclusion, I was hoping for a bit more there as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that I think about the ending was a little vague. It just sort of ended. Great review!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just reviewed this book too and I really enjoyed it, i can appreciate your views though the ending is a bit anti climactic

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 stars for ending?

    Eh! No matter how awesome the plot and writing are, if the ending is meh, I'd rather not read it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh... i don't know if I want to get it now. Hmmm will hold off for now. Too bad... going to put this one on the back burner for now.

    ReplyDelete