6.07.2011

Review : This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen



Goodreads :  
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about ? 


My thoughts : 
This was the first book I read by Sarah Dessen and I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed in it. I was expecting something way better because of all the praise about this author's novels.
The main thing in which I was very disappointed was the characters. I had heard amazing things about Dexter and I was expecting this cute and funny musician but I really didn't manage to like him. Remy, the main female protagonist, was a good character but I didn't appreciate her that much to be honest. I enjoyed Sarah's writing : it was what kept me reading the book. That's why I look forward to read another of her books. I have Someone Like You and The Truth About Forever in my pile and as I've heard so many great things about the latter I'm planning to read it soon.
One of the main reasons why I didn't like this book that much was because I've read a lot of contemporary novels recently .. so I'm going to get back to reading paranormal romance for a while.

My rating : 
Plot : ★★
Characters : ★★
Ending : ★★
Cover : ★
Writing : ★★


12 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry you were disappointed. I've never read a Sarah Dessen book before either. Sometimes change is good, so I definitely think it's a good idea for you to switch over to paranormal for a while and then return to contemp. Hope you like your next read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww sucks that you were disappointed! I haven't read any Dessen yet but I really want to. I might not start off with This Lullaby though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chalk it up to an experience and I know that for every miss there will be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ Hmmm, those sound like words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm unsure how to feel about this book so far myself. My favorite by her is Just Listen. The other books she's written are okay to pretty good. I can say with a certainty that the characters in her other books have many different personalities. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you didn't enjoy this book! I can't remember if I've read this one or not... It seems like I might have, but I can't remember. I hope you enjoy the other books more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw it's too bad you found This Lullaby disappointing. I know a lot of people love The Truth About Forever so I hope you like that one a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I was going to start this book yesterday too but ended up going with something else. I guess, well see :) Thanks for the honest review. Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. I have trouble loving a book if I can't swoon over the male lead. But I am glad you like Dessen writing. Hopefully you will enjoy her other books more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah mince :/. Ca me fait peur ça aussi j'ai tellement entendu de bonnes choses sur Sarah Dessen et surtout ce livre d'ailleurs que j'ai peur d'être déçu aussi... j'espère que t'aimerai les autres !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this one -- it's one of my faves. I thought it was hilarious. It's kind of different from her others, in my opinion, so I hope you like The Truth About Forever! It's another fave of mine =) And definitely different from This Lullaby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sucks that this didn't live up to your expectations! I hope you end up liking her others more. I've read two so far and have to say, The Truth About Forever is definitely my favourite! Wes <3

    ReplyDelete