12.28.2011

Review : Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Goodreads : Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill. Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her parents may be from Mexico, but as a doctor’s daughter, she has more in common with her north-side neighbors than the Latino Blood at her school. Then she meets Luis at Alex’s wedding, and suddenly, she’s tempted to break all her rules.
Getting Nikki to take a chance on a southsider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world and permanently living on the edge ? 



My review : 
If you've read my reviews of Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction you probably know that I'm a huge fan of this contemporary YA series so I was thrilled to have the Fuentes brothers back. I really enjoyed this third book though I didn't feel like I did while reading the first two books : Luis and Nikki's relationship was great but it felt a bit bland compared to Alex and Britanny's or Carlos and Kiara's. The main thing I love about this series is the fact that the plot is always rather predictable but it doesn't stop me from appreciating reading it. I also really enjoyed the fact that we get to read a bit about the other couples' drama : though the book remains focused on Luis and Nikki's relationship, it is nice to have some scenes staging the previous characters. I was a bit dissatisfied with the ending ( these happily ever after endings always bother me) even though I knew it could not end otherwise .. 
While this third book had some flaws, it remains one of my favourite contemporary YA series. My favourite book of the series is definitely the first one : I've always rooted for Alex and Britanny !! 
Have you read this series or some of Simone Elkeles' books ? What did you think of them ?
Thanks for reading this review, happy reading :) !!

4 comments:

  1. The first in the series is my favorite, too, although I haven't read Chain Reaction yet. :P I didn't care as much for Rules of Attraction, but I think Perfect Chemistry is what makes me want to read the last one with hopes that it'll be as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that Alex and Brittany and Carlos and Kiara made appearances in the book. It was like visiting old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read this book. I really loved Perfect chemistry and then thought Rules of Attraction was great I just have yet to get around to this one. I'm glad that you liked this one even if it wasn't your favorite of the series.

    Can't wait to find the time for this book!
    Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le Gasp! I haven't started the series yet but I'm about to soon! I'm moving all my books aside to start this one. :D Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete