1.24.2012

Review : The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Goodreads : Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything? 
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

My thoughts :  
My expectations regarding this book were huge because of all the amazing positive reviews I had read. I wasn't disappointed though I have to admit I expected something more epic. 
As you probably all know, this book is set over a 24 hour period and that is one of the aspects of the book that I really enjoyed. I really needed a light and quick read and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was just that. I greatly appreciated both Hadley and Oliver (English boys !! OH MY !). I also wanted to mention the fact that though this story doesn't sound very probable, it feels quite real! One of the greatest things about this book is that it is mainly set in London (a city I visited last summer and fell in love with) : I really enjoyed trying to visualise Hadley traveling through the city ..
One of the things that prevented me from absolutely loving this book was the occurence of  the flashbacks. Learning about Hadley's parents was nice .. but I felt like there were too many flashbacks.

Overall, if you're looking for a quick nice read, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is definitely what you need. Airports definitely feel way more romantic now :) 

Quotes : 
"I like how you're neither here nor there. And how there's nowhere else you're meant to be while waiting. You're just sort of suspended." Page 34. 
"He looks down at her with his head tilted, his hand still firmly on her arm, and before she has a chance to be nervous, before she even fully realizes what's happening, she hears him mutter "What the hell," and then, to her surprise, he bends to kiss her." 

6 comments:

  1. It seems really nice ! Reminds me of Sarah Dessen s books :) I heard it was published in French, so maybe I'll buy it soon =D It's like the perfect book for holiday, reading on the beach ^^
    Thank you for your review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! I have it, just haven't found the time to get to it yet :( Soon, though---glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je crains les livres qui font le buzz maintenant parce qu'on est toujours pas entièrement conquise en le lisant :/...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore the cover and the story sounds lovely!! But, you are not the first the mentions the flashbacks... I guess I still have to read it to make up my mind! Did I mention I love the cover *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dying to get my hands on this book! I've heard nothing but good things, including your awesome review. :) Can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds cute, cute, cute! I need to start reading more contemporary.

    ReplyDelete