2.07.2012

Review : The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Goodreads :  In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one except the "thing" inside her.
When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch...
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits. Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help-and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on, even if it seems no one believes her.


My thoughts : I had very high expectations regarding The Girl in the Steel Corset since I had only heard great things about it. Besides, I was very interested in the steampunk aspect of this book because I don't read a lot of these steampunk novels. I ended up being hugely disappointed. I found the first half of the book pretty boring then the second half awakened my interest a bit, but unfortunately not enough for me to even like this book. According to me, the plot was a bit dull and the characters lacked of depth. I didn't care much for Finley and Griffin, who are the two main characters of this book : I found them quite dull and didn't manage to connect with them ..
The only great thing about this book to me was Jack Dandy's character who was very charismatic, mysterious and had his mind set on Finley so, I was hoping for them to get closer during the whole book and nothing happened !!! Unfortunately, there also weren't enough scenes featuring this great character. 
One of the things that may have bothered me while reading this book was the fact that it is written in a third person narrative : we actually get the POV of several characters (which I'm not really a crazy about)..
Overall, this book just wasn't for me : it was slow paced and I didn't care much for the characters (except for Jack Dandy). I'm not planning on reading the next book because reading a sequel for one single character, who I'm not even sure will be in the second book, would be a waste of time. I really wanted to love this one but to my dismay it wasn't the case ... Have you read this book ? Did you like it ? 


★★ : I didn't like it

6 comments:

  1. This was my first steampunk and like you I was disappointed. I don't like it when there are too many POVs either - it just ends up confusing me.

    Anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I'm sorry you didn't like this one Elodie! I wanted this to be my first steampunk read, but I think I'll find another one instead. That sucks you weren't able to connect with the characters and that you only liked Jack Dandy (which I love that name lol!) The POV moving around in a third person way would bother me too! Thanks for the honest review Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this! Jack Dandy was definitely an interesting character though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! I had planned to read this one, but it kept getting pushed back. Now I'm actually glad I put other books ahead of it. Sorry you didn't like this book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mince tu me donnes plus envie de le lire du coup :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a chance to read this yet. I enjoy historical fiction and the steampunk elements caught my attention as well. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed, but I appreciate your honesty.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete