2.24.2012

Review ; Storm Born by Richelle Mead

Goodreads : Just typical. No love life to speak of for months, then all at once, every horny creature in the Otherworld wants to get in your pants. . . Eugenie Markham is a powerful shaman who does a brisk trade banishing spirits and fey who cross into the mortal world. Mercenary, yes, but a girl's got to eat. Her most recent case, however, is enough to ruin her appetite. Hired to find a teenager who has been taken to the Otherworld, Eugenie comes face to face with a startling prophecy—one that uncovers dark secrets about her past and claims that Eugenie's first-born will threaten the future of the world as she knows it.
Now Eugenie is a hot target for every ambitious demon and Otherworldy ne'er-do-well, and the ones who don't want to knock her up want her dead. Eugenie handles a Glock as smoothly as she wields a wand, but she needs some formidable allies for a job like this. She finds them in Dorian, a seductive fairy king with a taste for bondage, and Kiyo, a gorgeous shape-shifter who redefines animal attraction. But with enemies growing bolder and time running out, Eugenie realizes that the greatest danger is yet to come, and it lies in the dark powers that are stirring to life within her...

My thoughts : I'm a huge fan of Mrs Mead's novels : Vampire Academy  is one of my favourite YA series and the Succubus adult series is GREAT as well. That's why I wanted to give a shot to the Dark Swan novels and I'm really glad I did. I started reading the book at the beginning of the week but it actually took me some time to get into the story, but as soon as I connected with the characters I was unstoppable and I read most of Storm Born this afternoon.
Eugenie is a great lead female character, though I have to admit that I prefer Rose and Georgina from Richelle Mead's other series, but I'm only starting Dark Swan ... Back to business, Eugenie is a badass protagonist, as a lot of us love reading about, and I very much enjoyed watching her grow as a character throughout the book : SPOILER (she learns pretty soon that she's in fact half human and half fairy, something that she has to adapt quite rapidly to and that leads to massive changes in her life).
There are 2 love interests in Storm Born : Kiyo and Dorian (the former is a kind of shape shifter and the latter is a fairy king). My heart definitely sides with Dorian who is a wonderful character, probably my favourite of the book : he is very witty, charming, and he is a freaking fairy king !!! Kiyo was nice but I'm totally on Team Dorian !!
I loved how the story was set in two different places : on one hand in the human world and on the other hand in the fairy realm. I really look forward to visit the latter again !!
Overall, I thought Storm Born was a very good first installment that has me really attached to the main characters and to the world the story is set in. I'm convinced the next book will be even greater and I very much look forward to receive it (it is already ordered). :)

I'd just like to add a short quote that I find very funny though it requires some context : 

"You used your power to toss one rock at me?" he exclaimed, an almost comic note of incredulity in his voice.
"On the contrary," I heard Dorian say pleasantly. "I didn't use magic for that. I just threw it."


4 Stars : Really liked it 


6 comments:

  1. Yay I'm glad you really liked this one. I swear I live under a rock because I have yet to read anything by Mead. Although I really want to get around to reading everything by her since I have the first three books in the Dark Swan Series, the first five in VA and the first one in the succubus series! I know I own like everything by her even though I've never read anything by her.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one, hope you continue to enjoy the series and everything she writes. :)

    thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the VA series, but I've never read any of Mead's adult series. I've heard this one is very good, and I plan to try it at some point. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read this one, but I'm a big fan of Richelle Mead so I'll definitely have to check it out! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-ha...this is the Dark Swan series! I love Vampire Academy as well!! This sounds like a good book and Richelle Mead is pretty fantastic. Plus, fairy king...yes please :) Thanks for the great review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've yet to have read anything of Richelle Mead's, I'm sorry to say. I do have Vampire Academy on my shelf, waiting to be read. It sounds like Mead writes very exciting, addicting novels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree I love Dorian. This series in amazing, and I really need to read the last one. I've only read the first VA, can't wait to read the second. Hope you'll also enjoy the other ones.

    ReplyDelete