2.20.2012

Short Review : Legend by Marie Lu

Goodreads : What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


My thoughts : My feelings regarding this novel are a bit mixed up. I think I actually expected too much coming from this book and that's mainly why I was disappointed in it. I usualy love dystopian novels but I actually didn't enjoy the dystopian aspect of this book that much : it wasn't explored enough. To me, we don't get enough information about the governement and how this system really works. 
Onto the characters now : June and Day hadn't enough depth according to me and I didn't manage to connect with them at all. The fact that they were 15 may have also bothered me a bit since I felt like they both were way more mature than their age. One thing I enjoyed was the double POV : I really like when we get to know what the 2 main characters think and feel. I guess I would have loved it if I had appreciated the protagonists. 
Legend is really-fast paced so I guess we could say it is a quick read, although it took me 5 days to finish it  but it was mainly because I couldn't read during the weekend.

Overall, I'd say that Legend was an okay book .. I wasn't thrilled by the dystopia itself and the characters didn't convince me but it is a quick read and well-written book.

10 comments:

  1. That sucks that it was just an okay book for you. I'm pretty excited about reading it, but I think I should definitely lower my expectations. I didn't know that main characters were 15 either. That's pretty young. Thanks for the honest review :)

    Krista - Nawanda Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree w/you, Elodie. I had high expectations and felt disappointed reading Legend. I didn't dislike the book or the characters, but I didn't feel anything when I was reading. Legend was a book that I could complete forget about once I stopped reading. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to read this one still, but I keep putting it off for just this reason. I don't want to read it while my expectations are so high and also I'm at a place right now where sometimes I like dystopia and other times I've had my fill of it. Sorry it disappointed you, though, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I'm sorry that the world in this one wasn't up to par. I have heard some great things about this book so I'm still interested in reading it just sorry it didn't work for you.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. I have this one on my shelf and I've been debating picking it up. I really like the premise and I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels, but I have to be able to connect with the characters or I can't really get into the book. I might wait on this one. Thanks Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read some highly positive reviews but have not read it myself. I have been wanting to give it a try. Sometimes the hype sets the bar so high that I struggle with a sense of disappointment.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you were let down a bit! That's the problem with high expectations - it's hard to meet them! I think I still want to try this one out for myself, but I'm bummed that the dystopia aspect and the character development could have been done better. Thanks for the review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had high expectations about this book as well, then I read some mixed reviews, and decided not to read it right now. Sorry to hear it didn't live up to your expectations!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw I'm sorry you didn't totally love this one Elodie! I still need to read it. I'm glad you enjoy the two POVs though! I'm reading a book right now that takes place in the future, but it's hard to tell because it too didn't do a good job of exploring it. Thanks for the great review Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loved the book legend! i had no idea what it was suppose to be about. i just had to read something for school and it was on the list. i honestly can say that i loved it and that i cant wait for the second book to come out!

    ReplyDelete