3.18.2012

Review : Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz :

Goodreads : Until three months ago, everything about sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at an art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes far from ordinary.
Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe he's trouble, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. Instead she's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help – but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something...but he's not the only one with a secret. 


My thoughs : I feel like this book had been sitting on my shelves forever before I picked it up.. It was a very quick read : I actually started to read this one this morning and it's only 250 pages long. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. While reading the first 50 pages I felt like I was reading a kind of re-writing of Twilight but then it sort of turned into a mystery book. Camelia is being stalked and receives threats and throughout the whole book I was really wondering who was sending these things to her. So I guess the mystery part was kind of a success.
Nevertheless, the characters didn't feel real to me and I didn't manage to connect with Camelia at all. Ben, the mysterious new guy, seemed to me a bit cliché and the romance between him and Camelia was a bit cheesy. The pace of this book was very slow and not much happened but the fact that the chapters were really short kind of made up for that.
Bottom line : The only thing I enjoyed about this book was the mystery aspect of it. I actually think I'd have enjoyed this one a lot more if I had read it a few years ago as I'm getting a lot more demanding regarding YA books as I've read a lot of them ..
I have the second book on my shelves but I actually have no idea whether I will read it or not .. I may give it a try later. 


2.5 Stars !!

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. that looks familiar, I may have saw one of the other books in the series somewhere. A re-write of Twilight, huh? I can relate...it's too bad it's not that original, but at least you enjoyed the mystery! ;) Perhaps just a lazy day book? Really great review, though! ^_^

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that there was a mystery aspect to it, but that totally sucks that you couldn't connect with the characters and that the guy role seemed cliche. I have the first three books in this series, but haven't read them yet. I'll have to wait for a day where I just want some mystery. Thanks for the awesome review Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've had this one on my shelves forever, too. I'm sorry to hear it disappointed you. I do know what you mean about reading tastes changing, though, and how something you might have like a while ago doesn't cut it anymore. Great honest review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when it feels like you're re-reading a book. At least it was a quick, somewhat enjoyed it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Booo too bad this sounded so good! But when I can't connect to a character it usually breaks it for me!! Great review Elodie!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm. I like that the mystery worked pretty well for you, but I have to be connected to the characters or the book is a fail for me. I completely understand you being more demanding, I feel like I've gotten that way the more I've read as well! My expectations for uniqueness and creativity are just so much higher now:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autsch.. too bad you didn't enjoy it so much. I never heard that it felt like Twilight in the beginning... but anyway for some reason I was not so intrigued to read this one. Reading your review, I pass! And, if I cannot connect with the characters the book is a fail for me anyway... !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, sorry to hear you didn't like this very much. I have it on my to-read list, and was wanting to get to it soon, but I think I may pass on it for a while. I really dislike books where I cannot connect with the characters. :/

    Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this one, thought it was good but I did read it years ago when it originally came out. I have read the second book and have the third on my TBR pile. I would say what I like is they are quick reads that provide a small escape for one day.

    Thanks for the great review, sorry you didn't like this one that much.

    ReplyDelete