3.23.2012

Review : The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Goodreads : Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


My thoughs : That was my first John Green book and I can assure you that it's definitely not my last .. I had heard nothing but good things about TFiOS and I totally understand why after having read it ! First of all John Green's writing is amazing and I felt like the pages were turning all by themselves : at one point I was on page 150 and a few minutes later I was on page 180! This was my first book about cancer and it totally broke my heart for I got so attached to the 2 main characters of this book. Hazel was a wonderful young girl and to me it's impossible not to care for her. Onto Augustus Waters, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that he was my favourite character of the book and the soul of the novel. To me he embodies both the comedy and the tragedy of TFiOS. That's actually one of the main thing I loved about this book : it had me smiling quite often and on the verge of tears several times .. Sure, this book has its share of tragedy but its also filled with humor and hope. The Fault in Our Stars was perfect from the beginning down to the very end :


5 fully deserved bottled Stars

Have you read John Green's other books ? What did you think of them ?

8 comments:

  1. I see everyone is so excited about this one! Thanks for this wonderful review, If I'm in the mood for such a story I will definitely pick it up! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading John Green too and I really like him. I have this book and I can't wait to read it. I've heard nothing but glowing reviews.

    I'm glad you really connected with the main characters. I'm sure I'll be crying buckets by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it, Elodie!! This is seriously one of my favorite books of the year! I agree, Augustus Waters was the soul of the novel. This book really reminds me of the movie 50/50 because it handles cancer and humor so well. I haven't read any of John Green's other books, but I'm planning on it now. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really should read this one. I haven't read a John Green book before and I usually avoid books about cancer (hey, that's one of the reasons I read, to NOT think about cancer!) But this sounds really wonderful. I will have to give it a try soon. Thanks for recommending, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, I really do need to read a John Green book asap! Maybe this could my first one too, it does sound good! Great review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous review, Elodie! I definitely agree with you when you say that Gus embodies the humor and soul of this book. He was such a great character. Cancer is a sensitive and [sadly] overused subject, but I think John Green did an excellent job. Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree about Augustus embodying the tragedy and humor of this book. I'm SO happy you loved it, it's just such an incredible book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I have yet to read any John Green books? It's kind of embarrassing, really. I just know I'll love his writing style because everyone else seems to!

    ReplyDelete