3.17.2012

Review : Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver :

Goodreads : I’m pushing aside
the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana
and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame. 


My thoughts : I read Delirium last year and absolutely loved it .. It actually was one of the first dystopian novels I read. I was very much anticipating the sequel because of the massive cliffhanger on which Delirium ended .. My feelings regarding Pandemonium are a bit mixed. It took me a long time to get into the book : I found the first half of the book a bit slow .. I actually felt the same way while reading Delirium but it didn't prevent me from loving it. I didn't like the alternation between the "now" and "then" chapters that much.. It's not that it was confusing but I didn't find it very relevant and that's one of the main things that slowed the story according to me. 
Onto the characters now, I liked Lena a lot more than in Delirium : she was a lot more fierce and brave than in the first book. I wish Lauren Oliver had given us more information about the Invalides charaters like Raven, Tack or Hunter ... but I'm sure we will learn more about them in the next installment. I'm not really sure what I think of Julian to be honest .. I loved Alex and I really missed him in Pandemonium. It was nice to watch the transformation undergone by Julian though.. but I remain on Team Alex !!
Lauren's writing is wonderful .. The one thing that bothered me with this book is that it was very slow-paced and I feel like not much happened. 
Lauren Oliver once again wrote another great ending, though I thought it was a bit predictable but it was still awesome !! 
Overall, I liked Pandemonium but didn't love it .. I'm hoping the third book will be packed with action which I think it will be, and I'm convinced it will be very interesting romantically speaking too :) !!


3.5 Stars I liked it !

8 comments:

  1. I just finished this a couple days ago. I loved it. Sorry you didn't love it but good to see you still liked it. I can't wait for the next one. It is horrible having to wait. I love this cover also. I have it in paperback and it just has a face on the cover. I prefer the one you posted here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I loved the ending too and I really can't wait to read Requiem !! I love the UK cover too .. :)

      Delete
  2. Great review Elodie. I was the opposite to you. I didn't love Delirium but I loved Pandemonium. The ending was a killer though lol. I can't wait for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you loved this one Suzanne !! I really can't wait for Requiem too :)

      Delete
  3. YES! TEAM ALEX all the way!! I agree, I really enjoyed watching Julian's transformation, but I too liked Delirium better. The ending though UGH Requiem needs to be here right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Alex rocks ..I'm hoping we'll see a lot more of him in Requiem :) !!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, haven't read this one yet, but I'm also unsure of exactly how I'll feel about this one. I'm not sure I'll like the now and then chapters either... but I'm looking forward to the character development in Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow only 3.5 for this one, so many people are raving about this. So much so that I have the first book on my shelf and I just learned that the second book is on hold for me at the library. Now I'm a little scared to read this series due to all of the hype but I think it will be a good book. Lol I also have several people on me about reading it already.

    Thanks for the great review, sorry you weren't in love with the book. Often times the second book is a bit of a filler book. Plus I know people are a little upset that this one ended on another huge cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete