3.01.2012

Review : The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Goodreads : It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.
Some riders live.
Others die.
At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.
Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen


My thoughts :  I bought this book as soon as it was released and it was getting a little dusty so I decided to give it a shot. I love Maggie's Wolves of Mercy Falls series so I was really looking forward to read this one. Though it is completely different from her other books, this one is beautifully written too and the writing is actually what stands out according to me in The Scorpio Races .. I've greatly appreciated reading a stand alone for once as the books I read are most of the time part of series. 
I really enjoyed the double perspective though I didn't get really attached neither to Puck nor Sean : Puck lacked a bit of depth and the same goes for Sean according to me .. They were good characters but I'm actually glad that it is a stand alone because I'm not sure if I would have read the next book otherwise. 
I loved reading about the water horses and the legend of the capal uisce (that I actually had heard about under the name kelpie) : they were very well described and I perfectly managed to picture these deadly beasts. The world Maggie created was both awesome and creepy : I'd actually love to visit the island of Thisby but for a short period of time and not during autumn ..
Overall, I really enjoyed The Scorpio Races as a stand alone and the highlights of this book for me are definitely the writing and the world the author succeeded in creating. 


3.5 Stars I Liked it !!

16 comments:

  1. Eh I'm not a fan of the Wolves of Mercy Falls so I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay clear of this one. Her writing just always seems to take so long to go somewhere!

    I'm glad you liked this one though, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Alexa :) !!

      Delete
  2. Great review, Elodie! I so want to read this book. I think it's such an original story, especially with the water horses. I think it's beginning to get harder to find a stand alone book, let alone a good one! I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the storyline was very uncommon and I loved reading about these mythical creatures :) !!
      I definitely agree with you about good stand alones being hard to find Krista ..
      Thanks for your comment ;)

      Delete
  3. To be honest, I'm not especially pulled in by the synopsis. But I got The Scorpio Races b/c I love MS's writing and I've heard this is good. I'm very happy it's not a series, too.
    Nice, honest review !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Maggie's writing too ..
      Looking forward for you to read it and to know what you think Andrea :) !!

      Delete
  4. Bonne critique :) je comprend ton point de vue c'est vrai que la narration est assez particulière...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adored this book, but it's definitely one of those stories that's not for everyone. I have a particular attachment to horses, so seeing Puck and Sean's relationships with their horses had a more profound effect on me than it might have otherwise. Glad you enjoyed it for the most part though Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved this one Jenny :) !!
      Thanks for stopping by !!

      Delete
  6. Hm hm, truth to be told I was never intrigued by this one to be honest. I love Maggi's writing but I never really cared about this book, the synopsis just didn't grabbed me. But like Jenny said, I also don#t have a connection to horses at all..
    Reading your review I'm truly think I'm going to pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a must read according to me so you're definitely right to pass this one Danny :) ! Thanks for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  7. The water horses were definitely interesting to read about! Bummer that you couldn't connect with either narrator, though.

    Nice review! Glad you at least liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I loved reading about them .. I wish I had connected with the characters though :) !! Thank you Lea :)

      Delete
  8. I recently listened to an audiobook of Shiver (my first Maggie Stiefvater experience) and am curious to read a more of her writing. I'm curious that you say this one has a different feel to her Mercy Falls Series. I'm also excited that this one is a standalone!! Definitely need more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The water horses were definitely the best part of this book. I totally understand what you mean about not being able to connect with the characters. They were likeable and all, but I wanted more from them. :)

    Glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete