3.13.2012

Review : Shadow Heir by Richelle Mead :

Goodreads : Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham strives to keep the mortal realm safe from trespassing entities. But as the Thorn Land's prophecy-haunted queen, there's no refuge for her and her soon-to-be-born-children when a mysterious blight begins to devastate the Otherworld...
The spell-driven source of the blight isn't the only challenge to Eugenie's instincts. Fairy king Dorian is sacrificing everything to help, but Eugenie can't trust the synergy drawing them back together. The uneasy truce between her and her shape shifter ex-lover Kiyo is endangered by secrets he can't--or won't--reveal. And as a formidable force rises to also threaten the human world, Eugenie must use her own cursed fate as a weapon--and risk the ultimate sacrifice...


My thoughts : This book was everything I wished for !! First of all look at this gorgeous cover, it's perfect, I can totally picture Eugenie like that, everything's here : the purple eyes, the red hair.. Besides it also features some symbols that are very meaningful when you've read the book, like the oak leave, the snow flakes and the falcons. I absolutely love it !! 
Onto the book itself now, I really feel like the writing of this fourth book was better than the others'. I couldn't bring myself to drop Shadow Heir, it was a real page turner ! 
There were some really moving passages in this one and I was near tears during a certain excerpt (which I can't say anything about obviously ..).
I feel like Eugenie has really matured throughout the series .. I didn't like her that much when I read Storm Born but after having finished reading the whole series, she's definitely made my top ten favourite heroines!
As usual, I remain totally devoted to Dorian. I totally understand why Richelle Mead likes writing dialogue for him, he's so much fun. I ADORE him !!  He's probably one of the majour reasons why you should pick up a copy of this book.
The ending both broke my heart and had me really excited. Seriously, how often does a book do that to you ??  I won't say anything but the ending was perfect in so many ways to me .. However, how can there be no sequel ? Another book is definitely needed : there are a lot of things left unresolved at the end so I really can't see how Shadow Heir can be the last book in the series. Some of you have any info regarding this matter ?
Overall, Shadow Heir was amazing, my favourite book of the month so far. I'm both satisfied with the ending and frustrated because I need more .. I wish I could say why but I want to keep this review without spoiler so the only thing I can do is to urge you to read this series !!


4.5 Stars : Amazing book !!

10 comments:

  1. Great review. It sounds fab! That cover is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super review! I've heard great stuff about this book, now you just made me really want to read it even more, haha! I should probably finish my Vampire Academy first though...Richelle Mead has still yet to win me over! >:)

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll pick up the second book in the VA series even if you didn't enjoy the first one that much because like I said it really gets better !! You can trust me, you'll love the third book, I swear :) !!
      Thanks for stopping by Vivian ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see that you really fell for this series in the end. Looks like Mead really does have a talent for writing that I really should get around to trying that talent out. :)

    I was reading a series last month where the main character really had to grow on me as well as the setting and the language used. I think I am finding though that when a character grows over time it really is more magical.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you on that Alexa .. I guess that seeing Eugenie mature as a character really made me live her even more than I would have if she had alreadu been this way in the first book :) !!

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm happy to hear you loved this book! I love it when characters mature throughout the book or series, so I'm glad to hear that Eugenie did exactly that. Dorian sounds completely amazing. <3 This series sounds awesome--I should probably read them, haha. Fantastic review, Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorian is seriously one of my favourite male characters of all time !! He's definitely one of the main reasons why you should pick up this series Sophia :) !! Thank you for stopping by :) !!

      Delete
  5. That cover looks amazing! I need to go read this book soon! I love Richelle Mead

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cover is so pretty. Wow! And the review was nice, thanks!

    ReplyDelete