4.19.2012

Review : The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade :

Goodreads : Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.
I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?
Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.
I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?

My thoughts : First I'd like to thank the wonderful Katie @JustCallMeBookworm for sending this book to me as a R.A.K. I'm so grateful Katie and I appreciate it all the more as it comes from you because I consider you to be a great blogger and a friend. 
I have to admit that I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book that much : it was a light fun read and it had been a long time I had read such a story. It's a really short book and I'd have finished it earlier if I wasn't studying for my upcoming exams. I very much appreciated the double point of view : we have the pov of Alona, a recently dead cheerleader who seemed to lead the perfect life and Will the "freak" who can see dead people. I really enjoyed Alona's character even if she was kind of a bitch at first, I found her witty and she had me laughing several times. Will was a great character as well and for some reason I was picturing him as Jeremy from The Vampire Diaries TV-show though he isn't described like that at all (he has blue eyes for starters .. lol). I haven't read many books with a double POV and I've noticed that that's something I usually enjoy a lot ..
It wasn't one of those books that you have trouble to put down and you're dying to know what happens next : the plot was simple and common but it didn't prevent me from turning the pages and wanting to keep reading. 
I have to admit that I'm usually not a fan of ghost books but they are tackled in such a particular way (they aren't these creepy things that you can usually find in paranormal books) in this book that it didn't bother me at all ... I actually had very much the impression of reading a contemporary novel. 
Overall, The Ghost and the Goth was a nice and quick read and I look forward to read the next 2 books in the series which I'll hopefully order next month. 
Could you tell me what you thought of Queen of the Dead if you've read it please ..  :)

3.5 Stars : I liked it

18 comments:

  1. I really liked this book, too, but I haven't gotten the chance yet to read the other books so I have no idea what to tell you other than I'm sure it'll be good if you liked it, but it may not be something you'd want to buy. It was a one-time read sort of thing for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it. Though it didn't have much of a 'bang' there. It was typical but different. :D Thanks for the review Elodie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fancied readin this book for a while now it sounds really interesting. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like you I'm also not a big fan of Ghosts, I don't know.. but from all the paranormal elements out there, witches and ghosts intruige me the least...
    But, I heard some cute things about this book and I really wanna read this series at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Elodie. Characters often appear completely different to me than their descriptions state too. I like the sound of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dying to read this book for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear you liked this one, Elodie! I love this series--- I think I actually liked book two even better than the first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One thing attracted me first was the cover, I confess, lol. But I more thrilled to read it after read people' thoughts about it.
    I haven't read any book about ghost yet (oh,except manga,perhaps xD) but i'd love to try. Glad you enjoy it :) I hope I also could read this soon.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone who reads this says it's so cute! I'm not a huge fan of ghosts either, but I would like to read it sometime anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to read this one soon - I bought it when it came out and haven't read it yet. it looks so FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been dying to read this series for a long time now. I need to just suck it up and order them. I'm happy you enjoyed this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a fun read :) I am interested in reading how those two will interact with eachother lol. I am going to go add it to my tbr list. Thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting to read this series! It's fun to read something light sometimes. I like ghost if it's done well, and it sounds like it was in this one. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to try this series, I love a light read to help balance all the darker paranormal stuff, so I think these will be perfect palate cleansers so to speak:) Thanks for the review Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Elodie! :) Thank you so much for stopping by my blog XD I fixed that little problem and added a subscription by email thinga majig on it :) I wanted to tell you I really love your blog XD it's really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Queen of the Dead has a slightly different feel and I enjoyed it just as much as I did The Ghost and the Goth. Plus it has a bit of a shocking ending so I can't wait till the third book is in my hands.

    Although I agree that this series is one of those quick cute ones you can read in a day, it is still a really great series in my opinion.

    THanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really glad you liked it and that's cool the ghosts aren't the typical, creepy ones. I've been really curious, since I keep hearing great things about it. :) I hope you'll continue to like the series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought this book was great for a quick read too! I'm glad you liked it!! I haven't read the others in the series yet, so I can't tell you how it is. Hopefully I'll get to it soon. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete