4.02.2012

Review : Graceling by Kristin Cashore :

Goodreads : Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.
When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away... a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone


My thoughts : This book was actually a birthday gift from Marie @Ifmarybooks so I'd like to thank her once again for offering Graceling to me. I really wanted to love this book and I was sure I was going to but unfortunately that was not the case (though I didn't hate it either). The blurb sounded so good and I know that a lot of people are dying to read Bitterblue right now so I guess that's what made me really demanding regarding Graceling. 
I liked all the characters : I found both Katsa and Po to be great heroes. However, I'd have much prefered it if this book hadn't been written in a third person narrative, I'd have loved to have read Katsa's story in the first person. Po was amazing but I had heard so many awesome things about him that my expectations were way too high regarding this character and I ended up being a bit disappointed ..
I really enjoyed Kristin Cashore's writing and that's according to me one of the highlights of this book. Nevertheless, one of the things that prevented me from loving this book was the plot. I wasn't hooked at all and I actually didn't care for what was happening. 
Overall, Graceling was good but I didn't understand all the hype around this book. I guess I'd also have loved it more if I had had more time to read (it actually took me 9 days to finish this book). 


My rating : 3 Stars It was ok

10 comments:

  1. I worry this is going to be my reaction as well Elodie. I've heard so many amazing things about this book, but that's part of the reason I haven't picked it up. I really want to love it, but I'm scared I'll be a bit disappointed! I'll get to it sometime I'm sure:) Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this book right now, and so far I'm unsure. I love the quality of the writing, it flows so well and before I knew it, I've read 20 pages. But I agree, I do wish that sometimes we could get inside the character's heads, especially Katsa's!

    I also don't read a lot of high fantasy, and so it has been a bit confusing for me who all the kings are and their roles and stuff. I'm only about 120 pages in, but we shall see if it clears up I guess. I was excited to read the books because like you I heard great things about it and it's feminist characters. But like I said, I can't make too many judgements yet as I'm not even halfway through the book :)

    I hope your next read is more satisfying Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Elodie. Sorry you didn't enjoy this more. I haven't read it yet. I had it from the library a while ago but I never got to read it so I just brought it back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the hype always gets to people. I feel the same way about certain books. If I expect too much of them because of what everyone says then I'm always disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it seems like the opinions for this one are either lukewarm, like yours, or really positive, so I wonder on what side I will come down on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this one yet. So many people rave about it so I'm afraid my expectations are a little too high, as well! I hate it when I don't care for what's happening! :(

    Thanks for the honest review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, it's a shame you didn't really like the book. I can totally understand where your coming from though - I find that when it's written in the 3rd person it's hard to connect to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this book was just okay as well. The plot was definitely my problem as well. That huge chunk of traveling with Bitterblue was very boring. I liked the characters, though! Wonderful review, Elodie! Are you planning on reading the rest of the series?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you liked Kristin Cashore's writing i still suggest you give Fire (graceling's companion novel) a go. I liked it much better than Graceling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to read this book but I've also been kind of hesitant about it. That sucks you didn't like it as much as you had hoped. I have heard that the series does get better though. Thanks for the review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete