4.11.2012

Review : Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout :

Goodreads : The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My thoughts : I have so many positive things to say about this book that I don't even know where to start. I have no idea why I waited so long before reading this book. I honestly feared to be disappointed in it because of all the fab reviews I had read and a lot of blogger were strongly recommending it to me, so my expectations were set pretty high. This was one of the best book I've ever read and it seriously had been a very long time since I had been gripped into a book that way. My only complaint is that it was too short lol, no seriously it was perfect ! 
For those who read, don't you think Half-Blood is very similar to the Vampire Academy series ? That's not a negative point at all because I love the VA series, but I was very surprised at how many things these two series have in common : Alex and Rose are so much alike, Aiden and Dimitri as well ... But once again that's not a complaint. :)
I absolutely love Alex, definitely one of my favourite YA heroine. She went through a lot of awful things throughout the book and still she managed to deal with them so graciously. I truly love her. 
Then we have Aiden <3. I actually have a big idiotic smile on my face each time I think about him, lol. An amazing character, one of those that stick with you forever. I can't say anything about Alex and Ayden's relationship because I want to keep my review spoilerfree but it is AWESOME
I also really cared for Caleb, who is Alex's bestfriend, Deacon (Ayden's brother) and pretty much every character in this book :) ! 
Jennifer L. Armentrout's writing is amazing .. I was incapable of putting Half-Blood down (except to got to college). I am dying to read all this woman has ever written in her life. It actually reminds of Hazel in The Fault in Our Stars when she says that she'd be willing to read everything her favourite author has ever written, even his grocery list :) !! I totally worship Mrs Armentrout !! 
I NEED more and I've actually already ordered Pure (the second book in the series) and Daimon (the prequel novella). This book was amazing, definitely the best I've read in 2012 so far and I strongly advise you to pick up a copy if you haven't yet, which I higgly doubt because I was the only idiot who hadn't read it from what I've heard, just kidding, READ IT and see for yourself ;) !

5 STARS : Pure awesomeness

Buy a copy : 

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

13 comments:

  1. Okay I'm kicking myself for not reading this one now! OMG it sounds amazing! Alex sounds absolutely amazing and Aiden sounds oh so swoon-worthy! I can't wait to check out the author's amazing writing too. Thanks for this awesome review Elodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elodie, your love for this book is evident with every word that you wrote! I love that :) You're really making me want to read this badly! But I think I kind of want to read Vampire Academy first now if they're sort of similar because it came first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elodie...you are so right..this series is PURE AWESOMENESS and I love it! Glad you did too. Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!!! I'm so glad you loved this one too Elodie! I definitely noticed the VA similarity, but like you, it didn't really bother me because it seemed like a superficial similarity and once I got into the story all the characters felt unique:) Your review is so adorable and enthusiastic, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this book like RIGHT NOW! I've read the prequel and it was amazing! You can read it for free you know? As a PDF file :)

    Amazing review! You know how to catch your readers' attention ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH!!!! FInally you read and !!?!?! It was epic right??? SOooo happy you loved it as much as I did! It's phenomenal and... well, the YA similarities? If you dig deep you will find similarities of other books in each new story.. so I don't care at all.
    Oh and you have to read Pure and then. let's talk about Seth! And ... Caleb...

    *jumps up and down* so happy you are in the track of awesomeness with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! I'm so happy you finally read this book, Elodie! I love this series so much. I can't wait until you read Pure. :) It's just as awesome. I haven't read the VA series, but I have seen the comparison a lot. I love Alex, and Aiden, and all the characters, actually! <3 <3 I also love your review. So happy to hear you liked this book, Elodie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book too. It was awesome, and I sorta liked it better than VA. (is that sacrilegious?) New follower, love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I really just need to read this one - everyone says such wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to read this one, I confess it's quite the same for me, I wait a lot and finally I'm sure I'll love it as well. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the best books you've ever read, wow. And here's another idiot lol, I've had it sitting on my shelf for ages now. Great review, glad you managed to keep it spoiler free. I hope to read this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this book too! It's so good! Aiden is definitely a HOTTIE :P aha. Apparently more people are turning to Seth after Pure! Not impressed with that :) I love her writing too, it's so addictive! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you read this one even though there is now a ton of hype around this series. I didn't love this one but I thought it was great.

    See while everone was saying this was similar to VA I couldn't make that comparison because I have never read VA. I know I'm a horrible person who is well behind the times. lol you always have reviews up of great series that I need to read. While I wasn't saying it was like VA I was however saying it was a YA version of Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. It just seemed like the story was rewritten to be teen.

    Pure is even better than Half-Blood in my opinion so I would get ready for another couple of days of no sleep once you get a copy :)

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete