4.22.2012

Review : Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck :

Goodreads : Passion. Fate. Loyalty.
Would you risk it all to change your destiny?
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.

My thoughts : I really don't know where to start .. I actually have no idea why I waited so long to read this book, it was amazing !!! Okay, errr let's start with the settings. How can I write something spoilerfree ? That's going to be very tough and probably a bit confusing but here it goes. The story begins in Oregon and the heroine, Kelsey, finds a job in a circus : it was actually the first time I ever read something set in a circus and I absolutely loved it. She meets Dhiren, a magnificent white tiger with whom she immediately bonds. Mr Kadam buys Dihren from the circus and offers Kelsey to come with him in India to take care of Dhiren during the summer there as a new job .. which she obviously accepts. The story being set in India was probably one of the things I liked the most about Tiger's Curse : I really liked getting to know more about Indian's culture, history and language. I was dying to book a plane ticket and fly there =) ..
Then, onto the characters, Kelsey was a great heroine and I overall liked her a lot but I have to admit that she annoyed me from time to time : I felt like she was complaining a lot and some of her decisions got on my nerves .. but still she was a great character and I very much enjoyed reading the book from her POV.
Ren, Ren *swoon* What can I say about him ? hum, he's the object of a curse old of 350 years, if I'm not mistaken, and can turn into a human 24 minutes per day, the rest of the time, well like you must have figured it out, he's a tiger. I loved reading both about Kelsey's relationship with Ren the tiger and Ren the man (a bit more about the latter maybe, lol). He's an amazing character and he had me swooning throughout the whole book. 
I also loved Mr Kadam : he was of great support to both Ren and Kelsey ! Kishan, who is Ren's brother, was also an awesome character : we don't see a lot of him but I'm sure he'll be a lot more present in the next book. 
Colleen Houck's writing is amazing and I found the story to be very fast-paced and packed with action. I know there's a movie adaptation of the book on its way and seriously that's a wonderful news : Tiger's Curse is totally movie material !!
I wasn't expecting so much from this book and I'm thrilled because it totally blew me away. I've already ordered the sequel, Tiger's Quest and I can't wait for it to get to me :) !! Oh, I almost forgot, have you notice how stunning this cover looks and I assure you the book looks even more gorgeous in person. Overall, if this book is getting dusty on your shelves : READ IT or order a copy like now with the additional 10% off over at The Book Depository !! The code is APMA12 ;)

4.5 Stars : Amazing book

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

9 comments:

  1. wow, il va vraiment falloir que je tente celui ci! Je l'ai vu plusieurs fois passé mais j'avoue que je ne m'y suis pas attarder, j'ai peut-être eu tord finalement. Merci pour l'avis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard this was amazing--but I didn't know it was set in a Circus!! LOL, this one actually is getting dusty on my shelves (how did you know that?? :D) I need to get it read soon. Great review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I should really check this out sometime because I always hear great things! I really love the concept and I love India as a setting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I read the first book a while ago, but I may need to reread again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, he's only human for 24 minutes every day? That's a heck of a curse! I've heard this series is awesome and clearly you are confirming it, so I need to read it:) I'm super curious about Ren now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's set in India? So cool! I definitely need to check this book out,

    Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a great tale full of magic and adventure!! LOVED it, it had a little from Indiana Jones! It's a beautiful story indeed and your reviews makes me want to pick up the next one already. I have it waiting on my iPod.. lool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad it blew you away! I LOVE those books and I have to wonder why I've put off reading it for so long myself o: It sounds really good! Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *I'm going to go hide now because I have this on my shelf collecting dust. I have even meet the author and yet still it sits on my shelf.

    I swear you must tell me your secret because you have all this time to read all of the book that I'm dying to get around to. lol

    Thanks for the beautiful review Elodie.

    ReplyDelete