9.20.2012

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink :

Goodreads : An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-
One good...
One evil...
Who will prevail?
Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.
Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.
They just know they can't trust each other.

My thoughts : Okay, I'm going to keep it short : I didn't enjoy this book at all. I guess my expectations were way too high hence my disappointment : I thought I was going to get magic and a great evil/good twin story but that wasn't the case at all. The characters felt bland and shallow and I really couldn't connect with any of them. Lia, the main protagonist, got on my nerves (I couldn't understand most of her decisions) and I think that's one of the main reasons why I didn't like Prophecy of the Sisters. As to the plot, for me there wasn't any : I felt very detached from the story and really didn't manage to get into it at all ... Besides,the prophecy felt a bit confusing and I'm not sure I understood it all.
I won't be reading the other books in the series because I have zero interest in what will happen. I'm really sorry for the harsh review because I know that some people actually really liked this book. I guess it just wasn't for me ...
The previous book I read was also about twins and magic and I loved it so maybe that's why Prophecy of the Sisters didn't charm me.

★ I didn't like it.

9 comments:

  1. Ugh! I'm guessing Entangled is the book that you recently read and loved. Good book.
    Based on what you've said in your review, I don't think I would like Prophecy either. Sorry it didnt work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! It looks like it has a lot of potential. Sorry you were disappointed. I guess I'll pass on this one. I hate when characters are bland, especially twins. Thanks for the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sorry you didn't like this one, Elodie! But I know I really appreciate your honesty. I really have no interest in bland and annoying characters, so I'll be skipping this one, myself. Thanks for your super helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww so sorry you didn't like it, Elodie. I've heard so many good things about this and was really expecting you'd like it.

    Your review is not harsh at all, Elodie. In fact, it's a good thing you're being honest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really felt drawn to this book, so I never expected to like it if I ever read it. I don't think I will though. :) Thanks for the honest review Elodie! I can trust you with books (we have the same taste in books) :D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one! I've never been very inclined to pick it up, so I can see my gut was right. Still, wonderful review, Elodie! :)

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is so much promise in the synopsis, but your review makes it clear that the story is poorly executed. When I can't connect with the main character, I always have a hard time with the story. MCs that make irrational and stupid decisions will always kill books for me. Love your honesty!

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way about Michelle Zink's A Temptation of Angels. Neither the story nor the characters had much depth to them. I don't think that I'll be giving this book a try because it sounds like more of the same. Thanks for your honest review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you didn't like the book as much as you liked :( that was what happened to me with the time traveler's wife.
    I'm glad I read your review about it X) great review though!

    ReplyDelete