9.16.2012

Review : Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson :

Goodreads : Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which is somehow tracking their every move. While Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila's only thought is of finding a way back to California so she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they're being held. Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the others she's come to think of as family, Lila plans not only to save her brother and mum, but also to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. But the plan requires Lila to return to California alone, and to make friends with the enemy - and in doing so, she risks losing everything: Alex, her family… even her life.

My thoughts : I read Hunting Lila a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it : it was packed with action, Lila was a great heroine and I totally fell for Alex. I'm a bit disappointed in Losing Lila as my expectations were kind of high because of all the enthusiastic reviews I had read.

I'll start with the things I did enjoy about this second book. The main reason why I like this series is the plot : it reminds me a bit of Xmen with all the gifted people and the cool powers they have. Psygens, as they're called here, were indeed what interested me the most. I adore Suki, Nate (the scenes featuring these two were hilarious) and Demos' crew. Losing Lila was non stop action ! The rescue scenes in the Unit had me very nervous and on edge. I totally see a movie adaptation of this series !!
I was also very much wondering about Demos through the whole book (SPOILER : if he was Jack's father or not) and I was right YAY !!

Now, onto the things that I'm dissatisfied with. Lila annoyed me a bit in this second book : I thought she was a bit childish sometimes (mostly regarding her relationship with Alex) and too impulsive. As Losing Lila was the last book in the series I expected to feel a roaller coaster of emotions while reading the scenes between Alex and Lila, but that was not the case. Their relationship let me down a bit : I would have liked more passionate scenes between the two of them and less drama.
To finish, I loved the fact that the author included an excerpt from Alex POV at the end of the book (IT WAS AWESOME) !

Overall,i f you enjoy books with X men figures, a sweet romance and non stop action, you have to pick up a copy of this book.

★★★ I liked it but I wasn't blown away by it ..

8 comments:

  1. Aaaaah I hate you! lol I've been waiting for this book for a year but had a problem with my TBD order last week :( Too bad you didn't like it as much as you thought. It's true that the reviews are glowing :) Can't wait to read it anyway, I need to know what happens!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this one book series by James Patterson called Witch and Wizard.
    I hate it when that happens, when you really like a book and the sequel isn't as good as the first one :/ Great review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sorry to hear you were disappointed by this one a bit! I also find it annoying when there is too much relationship drama just for the sake of creating plot intrigue. But Hunting Lila sounds amazing (and I seriously love the X-Men!)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much as Hunting Lila, but I'm still glad you liked it. Losing Lila was a much stronger book for me as I enjoyed the focus on character relationships, but I do understand the points you bring up. Excellent review, Elodie! :)

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was excited to read this series after Haunting Lila. Everyone seemed to love it. But now that I've read a lot of "meh" reviews for Losing Lila, I'm not anxious at all. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it quite as much. Nice review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Je passerai donc mon tour car l'héroïne m'avait vraiment agacé avec son côté gnangnan. Merci pour ton avis éclairé sur ce deuxième tome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! That's a shame. I love this series - it's one of my favourite. Great review though. Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read Hunting Lila and quite excited because of great reviews out there. I think I'll use this for caution so I won't expect Losing Lila too high =)
    Great review, Elodie! =D

    ReplyDelete