9.13.2012

Review : Starters by Lissa Price :


Goodreads : Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.
He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . .

My thoughts : I bought Starters pretty much as soon as it came out and I was really looking forward to read it : the premise sounded awesome and guaranteed a great dystopian read. I really enjoyed this book eventhough it took me a while to get into it (but I guess I can blame it on the whole moving to a different country thing).
I found the plot very uncommon and well built. Starters was really creepy : can you imagine a world in which old people could rent young people's bodies ?? Well in Starters, only teens (starters) and very old people (enders) remain and rich people can use their money to live in the poor teenagers' bodies : soooo scary !!

Callie was such a great heroine : yet so young she's willing to do anything to protect her only living relative, her young brother Tyler. Indeed, this is why she chooses to offer her body for rental. To me she was a kick ass character in her own way ..
There isn't much romance in Starters but it wasn't a bad thing at all. We could say that there are two love interests though : Blake, a rich starter and Michael a friend of Callie's. Although, there weren't many romantic scenes in Starters, I am on Team Michael and I wish we'll have more scenes featuring him in the sequel.

I also can't wait to unravel the mystery of who the Old Man is ; I do have some ideas but I'm not sure yet.
Overall, Starters was a great dystopian read, packed with action and I very much look forward to know what will happen in Enders.


★★★★

9 comments:

  1. That is definitely a very creepy and disturbing premise. I would not want my body rented out to an old person for them to relive their younger days. *shudders* I have a feeling I would be on Team Michael as well, and since I'm a romance lover, I too am hoping there are more scenes with him in the next book! Really wonderful review Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starters does seem like one of the better books in its genre. I've heard really good things about it and plan to read at some point. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that does sound creepy :S but I may just give it a shot and read it X)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your back!! I'm so excited to read your reviews again :) I have this book sitting on my shelf. I totally need to pick it up. I'm glad Callie is a great heroine. I've been reading books that have annoying female leads lately. I will definitely be reading this soon. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow. I used to see this book around so much. I didn't know it sounds this creepy and interesting. Have to read more reviews to see if it's worth the read. Thanks for the review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't get into this one! Which sucks, because I seem to be the only one who looked upon it negatively. I'm happy you enjoyed it so much, I have to admit the premise is fascinating and definitely unique! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, this definitely sounds scary. Glad you enjoyed it. Awesome review :)

    And Yay about your books, what two is she sending you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this, too. It was so different from other dystopians that I'd read. The Old Man definitely creeped me out, and I also can't wait to find out his true identity! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you really enjoyed this one! I kind of like that some of the new YA books are concentrating on more than just the romance.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete