10.29.2012

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout :

Goodreads : Dying sucks-- and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out.
However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't? But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.

My thoughts : I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Armentrout's Luxen and Covenant series so I was really excited to read Cursed. However, I liked this book but not nearly as much as Jennifer's other books, Cursed was only an ok read to me.
I honestly didn't care much for the plot and the characters that much which was definitely a downer for me. I had trouble connecting with Ember eventhough she was definitely a great heroine : but not the kick ass kind of protagonists I love. She has a very tough life and she's taking care of her little sister Olivia after her dad died in a car accident and her mother went a bit crazy .. She got this gift/curse when her little sis brought her back from the dead : she can't touch people without killing them (which is definitely a curse). I found her story to be very sad but other than that I coudln't relate to her in any way ...
Hayden was a great character though a bit too déjà vu for me and really common compared to Armentrout's other swoonworthy male characters (Daemon, Aiden and Seth). I enjoyed the romance but didn't love it though : it was sweet but I wasn't blown away by it.
I liked the gifts all these kids had and the mystery around the Facility and not knowing who was threatening Ember ..
Is it a standalone ? the ending was definitely satisfying enough for it not to require a second book .. Overall, I thought Cursed was a nice read but it wasn't the gripping read I was hoping for as the plot was pretty cliché and the characters got on my nerves at times.

I'm dying to get my copy of Deity which will release in a few days now !!Can't wait !!

★★★ It was ok

10 comments:

  1. Every review I've read for this one has been a little less than enthusiastic which is disappointing since I'm such a huge Jennifer Armentrout fan as well! I think I'll just stick with Aiden and Daemon, they're hot enough that I don't really need Hayden:) Can't wait to see what you think of Deity Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad that you didn't love this like you'd hoped to. Cursed isn't a book that I've been anxious to read, so this just confirms that.
    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read my very first JLA's book, Obsidian and very like it (although somehow it reminded me of one book /=). I've seen this book wandering around but actually not really willing to read it. The story sounds a bit depressive.

    Great review dear! =D Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, okay so it sounds like I should focus my reading efforts on her other series. It's a shame you didn't like this one as much though, Elodie! It would've been nice to have it live up to her other standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, from the look of the cover (I know! Shame on me!) I didn't want to read this book. It just didn't grabb my attention. I'm sorry to hear it was just an okay book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite enjoyed this one Elodie but I haven't read any of Jennifer's other books and I've been told that they are much better than this, so this one was probably a good one for me to start with. I hope to get started on her other series soon. Great review dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Elodie. I'll probably steer clear of this one because I just thought Obsidian was okay (I know, I'm not in the majority here), so I doubt I'll like this book from Armentrout if it's not up to par with the Luxen series. I do have Half-Blood on my shelf though. Not giving up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, it's shame you couldn't relate with the mc. I find it hard to enjoy a book if I can't connect with them.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I noticed a lot of Armentrout fans have this as their least favorite among her works. I haven't read this yet but I loved Half-Blood and hopefully, I'll be able to finish Obsidian, and soon, Cursed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review Elodie! :) the plot sounds really interesting. I haven't read any of her books but people have been telling me I should.

    ReplyDelete