10.03.2012

Defiance by C.J. Redwine :

Goodreads : Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.
At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

My thoughts : First I'd like to thank Madeleine Feeny and Little Brown for sending me a copy of Defiance. It was my first review book and I'm very grateful to be able to talk about it on my blog today. Defiance is a very quick read if you don't happen to have a ton of books to read for uni, like me, lol. The chapters are quite short and I sometimes felt like the pages were turning all by themselves.

I really enjoyed the setting of Defiance : it was dystopian like and pretty creepy. I wouldn't live in this world for a million euros : first you have this cruel kind of dictator that is the Commander and as if it wasn't enough you have this blood thirsty beast luring outside the walls of the city. In the town of Baalboden, the Commander is the one and only who holds power : women can't walk freely without men supervision and have what is called a protector.

I particularly enjoyed the characters of Defiance. Rachel was the typical kick ass heroine that I feel like I'll never get weary of. Though her life sucked, as pretty much every one she cared about was reaped away from her, she managed to carry on ...
I loved Logan as well and his brilliant inventions and I really can't wait to unravel the mystery around his father (I'm sure we'll get some info on him in the next book).
The romance between R&L was pretty cool and I very much appreciated the lake scene :).
The secondary characters were awesome !! I loved Oliver ... and Willow and Quinn as well. I definitely  look forward to see more of them all. I'm really hoping there won't be some sort of love triangle though with Quinn adding to the Rachel&Logan couple.

The ending was a killer, not because there was a cliffhanger but because we're left with so many unanswered questions which convinces me that the next book in the series will be as packed with action as Defiance was.

★★★★ I really liked it !! 

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one, as well! I agree, I really liked the set up of the setting and the world building. And Logan's inventions were pretty cool! I'm curious to see where the story is going to go next, that's for sure. Great review, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like Defiance Elodie! =D
    I really want to read this book since the first I was it and it sounds amazing, but then I still put it on my shelf. Maybe I just afraid it wouldn't be as good as I thought or simply because I'm easily distracted by V.A series (currently I read Last Sacrifice) =p
    I have to read this soon!
    Thanks for share your wonderful thought, Elodie =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the world is pretty freaking nuts! I did enjoy that part a lot. I also love the weird monster/dragon thingy. I didn't care much for the romance though but the lake scene was pretty good I have to say! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm...you have me curious. I may need to read this one soon, if only to find out what going on in that lake scene! :)

    Great review, Elodie! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I so adored this book Elodie! I definitely had a bunch of questions I wanted answered by the end as well, but I didn't feel frustrated about it like I might normally, more of a "I can't wait to for the next book to answer all my questions" type of feeling:) Also, I love Rachel and Logan together, I'm hoping there's no love triangle either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you really enjoyed this one. It became a dnf for me unfortunately. I just couldn't take to Rachel or Logan :( Great review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really been interested in Defiance , but your review is making me reconsider that. I'm really glad you enjoyed the story and Congrats on your first review book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this book, but because it leaves so many questions I'm going to wait untill the sequel comes out. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like books with short chapters! They make me read faster.

    I'm really glad you liked this one, Elodie. I've read sooo many positive and negative reviews so it's good to read another positive one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful review, Elodie! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out for me, but I hope I enjoy the sequel better! *fingers crossed* :)

    ReplyDelete