10.08.2012

Mini review : Foretold by various authors :


Goodreads : Richelle Mead, Lisa McMann, Michael Grant, Meg Cabot, Laini Taylor, and nine more of the hottest YA authors to hit the shelves explore the concepts of prophecy and prediction in this story collection edited byNYT bestselling author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan.
Have you ever been tempted to look into the future? To challenge predictions? To question fate? It's human nature to wonder about life's twists and turns. But is the future already written—or do you have the power to alter it?
From fantastical prophecies to predictions of how the future will transpire,Foretold is a collection of stories about our universal fascination with life's unknowns and of what is yet to come as interpreted by 14 of young adult fiction's brightest stars.

My thoughts : I have to admit I bought this book only to read Richelle Mead's Homecoming novella. I actually only read two of  the stories (Mead's and Simone Elkles') because I haven't read the series of the other authors and I didn't want to get spoilers as I plan to read their books in the future ...
Simone Elkeles' novella was pretty cute but I was a bit disappointed because for some reason I was expecting to read something about the Fuentes brothers. Like I said, her short story was nice but a bit to cheesy .. I liked the characters but that's not the kind of story you tell through a novella (as everything happened way too fast) but rather with a novel I guess.
I had been dying to read Mead's story ever since I heard of it !! The Vampire Academy series is my favourite YA series ever  : I absolutely adore Rose and Dimitri so of course I couldn't wait to get my hands on this novella.
I really enjoyed it even if I was expecting something way more awesome, but I thought it was good ... Honestly even if it had sucked I'd have loved it only because it featured Dimitri and Rose. I can't tell more about it because it would be way too easy giving spoilers. I strongly advise you to read the Vampire Academy series !!!
I don't know if Foretold is a book I'd recommend to buy. It was a bit expensive for me as I only read 2 of the 14 stories but I guess if you're interested in reading most of the short stories, it would make sense to buy a copy :).

7 comments:

  1. Lol, I bought a copy of this just to read the VA short story. It's the only story I've read from it so far and I don't have plans on reading the others as of yet. Though I've read Simone's novels about the Fuentes brothers so knowing that her short story is a bit too cheesy doesn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would buy this book just for the Dimitri and Rose novella Elodie! I'm disappointed their novella didn't blow you away, but I still want to read it because I love them so much:) Maybe some of the other 14 stories will really surprise you if you ever get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. I wanted to buy a copy the other day through book depository, but it's way too expensive - even more expensive than a normal YA hardback. At least it looks pretty and has lots of great authors!:) I think I'll just get the kindle edition, I need to read that Rose and Dimitri story asap!!! I haven't read anything by most of those authors though, maybe this is the way to start....

    Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed! I think it's safe to read other novellas too though, I don't think the stories are related to the authors' other series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review, Elodie! I'm so curious about the Dimitri and Rose short story - MUST read! ;) Even though you weren't impressed with it, I think if I go into it with altered expectations, I may enjoy it more. Still, I hope your next novel is better, dear! Fantastic mini-review, Elodie!(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this even when it wasn't quite what you were expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, glad you enjoyed this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of these kind of books, but this one looked really awesome. Maybe when it's really cheap.. ;)

    ReplyDelete