10.22.2012

Review : Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill :


Goodreads : Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.
Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude- and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood.

My thoughts : Some Girls Bite was exactly the book I needed to get out of my reading slump : it was a quick and sexy read and it made me realized that I hadn't read that kind of paranormal stories in a while and I had missed it a lot.
The story starts when Merit has been turned into a vampire and she has to adapt to her new life and self. Luckily she has this great best friend Mallorie who I thought was very funny : I really enjoyed the interactions between the 2 friends.
Merit was a great heroine : she gets more and more badass as the story progresses and I love kickass characters !!
Ethan is the master vampire who turned her .. I'm not really sure what I think of him just yet : of course he was this smoking hot guy but he was also a bit of a jackass to Merit when he insisted on her obeying him and all .. But I have the feeling that he'll change in the next books and I'll love him after having read the second book in the series.
Catcher was a great character as well, he's a sorcerer and Mallorie's boyfriend and I thought they made such an original couple !! Morgan was cool character too but I know I'll be rooting for Ethan and Merit ..
I really enjoyed the fact that vampires had confessed their existence to humans and that they belonged to different houses : I don't think I had ever read a vampire novel such as this one so the uniqueness definitely played a great part in me loving this book.

Overall, Some Girls Bite was an awesome first installment and I can't wait to read the next books in the Chicagoland Vampires series.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series, but have heard great things about it. If you loved it, maybe I should give Some Girls Bite a try!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book around but never really had the desire to check it out. I didn't think this sounded so much interesting! I mean, I haven't met Merit and Ethan yet but I'm already rooting for them. Ethan sounds like that type of character who comes off as a jerk but soon softens around the female MC lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a vampire book I NEED to read! Merit sounds like a kick-ass heroine! Great review. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!!! This is one of my favorite series Elodie, I'm so glad you enjoyed the first book! Ethan can be such an a-hole, but for some reason I just can't get enough of him. I can't wait to see what you think of him in books 2 and 3:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review, Elodie! I've been on the fence about starting this series, but you've convinced me! I'll need to pick this one up ASAP for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I've heard great things about this one! Sounds like so much fun!! ... Though hopefully Ethan grows up a bit more later on in the series because I probably wouldn't appreciate his attitude either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one Elodie. I have it from the library and I'm going to read it soon. Great review hun :)

    ReplyDelete